8/14/2007

One down...one to go...

Good Evening Blog Buddies!

Today was pretty uneventful...Physical therapist "P" came by and I was a little nervous to see her... I knew she would want to stretch my leg again...and it was going to hurt again... and I have regressed with some of my exercises...because I did so much in the last few days I have been exhausted and have not done my regular PT exercises...consequently I have lost ground with my leg raises...but I know that getting out and doing things is good for me...it helps me build endurance and I need that. P agreed with me and said that she was happy I was getting out more and that she knows that the things that have regressed will come back. I know that too, but it is frustrating that I have taken some steps backwards in some areas...even though I know I have gained in other areas. I knew that she was going to be pleased with my flexibility though. My knee has been bending further...and I did get to 90 on the CPM machine. She measured it today and without using the machine, I got my leg to about 80 degrees... which is 15 degrees of improvement since Friday. That is a good gain. I need to make sure I also focus on trying to straighten my leg too...it is as important as getting the bending. P did stretch my leg today and it has been more painful that it was on Friday, but bearable. She also advised me to use one crutch around the house all the time... so one crutch down...one to go.... when I go out I will take both, because I may encounter some harder terrain or obstacles, but at home I will use one...unless I am groggy when I get up in the middle of the night and feeling really stiff. Tomorrow I am planning on going grocery shopping...one of my friends will go with me to help...it amazes me that tasks that ar routine...or I should say...were routine...are challenging. The idea of going shopping is intimidating... will it be too much for me? Will I be able to push the cart? will I trip over something, knock something over? So my friend Sheila is going with me to help alleviate some of that fear and to help out as needed. I will let you know how it goes. Tonight Craig came by...brought me a frosty from Wendy's... yum. It was good to see him, I hadn't seen him since before surgery. It's funny how I measure my life now....BS...before surgery...and PS...post surgery...kind of like when people have a baby...though VERY different... though I will say.. I remember when my sister had her first son and we went places... I was impressed with how easy it was to cross streets while puching a carriage...everyone stopped. I told her I was going ot get a stroller just to use for crossing the street.... well... the crutches work as well. People open the doors for me, let me cross the road, and in general try to help me...which is nice.

That's all for tonight bloggers... it feels chilly tonight...like fall...hard to believe it is quickly approaching.

2 comments:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

Hey Girl-

Only a week until our trip. Can't wait to see you again and introduce you to the little ones. It's great that you are only using one crutch now. Don't plan any backpacking or hiking trips for next Thursday. =o)

Carolee said...

so glad you're down to one crutch! i think that whoever your companions are when you go on your outings should carry the other one around and use it as a fake machine gun like they're the secret service or something on steroids, looking out for danger and obstacles around every turn!

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place