6/20/2007

School's out for Summer!!!

Yep... that's right folks. School is done.. I am on vacation!!!

I am looking forward to enjoying the next couple of weeks before surgery. I am hoping to fit a lot in before going under the knife... I am also hoping that after surgery I will, eventually, feel like going out, even if I am on crutches. I am sure the crutches won't be all that comfortable, but... I am not above having friends drop me off at the door of my favorite local pub while they find a parking spot. My knee is very sore today... seems to be a sharper pain than usual, but still have the constant aching. I was up a lot in the night and it was really hard to take the first few steps... the countdown is on.... about 26 more days...until surgery... not counting today and the actual surgery day. I know the time is going to go by fast.

I am pretty tired today... my coworkers and I had fun yesterday, but it took a lot out of me... who knew celebrating could be so exhausting?

Today, when the other teachers and I were leaving school, several asked what I was doing this summer. I told them I was having knee surgery and I was amazed at how many people had not yet heard about it... not saying that everyone should know what is going on with me, but people were very surprised. Everyone assumed that my March surgery fixed everything and that I was back to 100%. Either I have been doing a great job at seeming like I am fine...or people are oblivious. I find it hard to believe that people didn't notice me struggling, but oh well. So... I got a lot of well wishers today and people who want to help if they can. Again... I have a lot to be thankful for.

The last day of school is usually really exciting... it is this year as well, but in a different way. I feel like school ending takes some pressure off me. It was really challenging a lot of days... hard to get up, deal with the pain, and get through the day...and I did it... granted I did use a lot of sick days, but I made it....This was not one of the most successful years for me professionally because of all the pain from my knee, but I did the best I could. I am looking forward to next year. Another special ed teacher and I are going to deliver our services a bit differently, and I am excited about it. I will be able to focus more on teaching math, so this summer I will get to develop some math lessons. I will also get to work with some of my coworkers who I have not worked with in a few years, so it will be nice.

School ending today is another reality check for me... that this is becoming more and more real. My gal pal "Mayo" called this afternoon and asked what I was doing... we chuckled when I told her I was online searching for a raised toilet seat. Granted, I do feel like I am an elderly woman these days, but shopping for a higher seat to sit on to do my business is a little nuts. My mom had suggested, a long time ago, that I look into getting one because it would be easier to get up and down if I had one. I do admit that one of the more painful parts of my day is getting up and sitting down on the toilet... it is painful... to top it all off, my physical therapist told me Monday that getting one was a good idea. I told my mom, and I know she was thinking, 'ha ha... I was right!' So, my friends, I am going to try to get one of these raised thrones and see if it helps my knee. I have no idea how to shop for one. How does one decide what to pay for such an item? Toilet paper..... $1.89....... toilet seat cover (the kind that match your bath mats).... $9.99... getting up from and down to the crapper without pain.... priceless?? I am sure this will become part of the humor in all this... and it will give Mayo and I some more bathroom humor to discuss.

I am signing off, heading to see Mayo, her hubby, and some other friends who recently moved in with them... for dinner and maybe a game of Balderdash. Ever play? It's FUN!

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place