6/28/2007

Another Beautiful Day


Oh my gosh... where do I begin? Today was probably one of the best days...ever... My nephew and I had a busy day filled with mini-golf, lobstering, and another evening at the beach.
Our day actually began at midnight last night. I had told my nephew a story of going to the beach in the wee hours of the morning and seeing bioluminescent organisms. (Glow in the dark bacteria...) He was so intrigued by it and asked if we could go...in the middle of the night. So I agreed and told him I would wake him up and we would drive to the beach in the middle of the night. I expected that he would not want to get up after I woke him up, but he did...and sleepily managed to get into my truck. We got to the beach... it was windy... and nobody else was there. We did not find any glow in the dark creatures. We were disappointed, but it was still fun. He talked about it with his dad tonight and I could tell he thought it was pretty cool. After that I did not sleep well. (Mostly because my knee is really hurting. I think the time with my nephew has involved me being more active than I have been in a while...and I am paying for it. Today I had to have him retrieve my ball after my turn while playing mini-golf because my knees were not feeling great. Oh well.)
My nephew was awake at 7:37 this morning... wide awake. There does not seem to be a transition for him between asleep and awake. All of a sudden he is awake and asking to play Scrabble... at 7:37 in the morning??? We hung out at home this morning, played mini golf, had lunch, went to a park, went on the lobsterboat, then to the beach. The lobsterboat was incerdible. Anyone who went got to "suit up" for the trip. We went out into the bay and hauledin lobster traps. The kids and adults get to help fill bait bags, empty the used bait bags, hold lobsters, re-bait the traps, and push the traps into the water. It was so fun watching my nephew. There were a few moments where I wondered if he was okay... he looked so serious...but later when we were talking he was able to tell me so many facts that we had learned. I think his serious look was one of concentration and processing all the info. He was hesitant at first, I think because of the other kids on the boat, but by the end he did one trap all by himself...so cool. We got to see some seals sunning themselves and one of the men on the boat got "marked" by a seagull... so he got a free t-shirt. As soon as we left the boat my nephew asked if we could head immediately to the beach... and we did. He rode his boogie board and caught some good waves. The water was freezing...but it didn't stop him.
I have so loved having my nephew here. It has been wonderful and i hope to do it again, when my knee is better. There are so many more things we could do if my knee was better... like biking around one of the islands in the bay... maybe next summer.

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place