7/27/2007

Partly Cloudy...

Today I felt pretty good...but was left with a few clouds from yesterday. This is an image I found through google at http://www.kshs.org/publicat/kaleidoscope/graphics/2003april_clouds.jpg , figure I should give credit where credit is due... Jill, thanks for your encouragement... I needed it. I guess it is ok to feel sorry for myself here and there...

Today was actually a good day. I was pretty much pain free all day. I had taken meds at about 5:10 a.m. and did not take more until 5:10 p.m. which I think is pretty good. I was up and down more today than I have been and had a few visitors! Meg came by first...bringing some lasagna and homemade french bread...along with muffins.....then Kelly came by with some pasta for the freezer, along with some chips and salsa, and then Sue stopped in and kept me company while I spent some time in my CPM machine. So the day was broken up nicely by company! Thanks guys... I also need to recognize Sheila who brought breakfast over for me and my parents on Wednesday morning... Yummy...

Oh yeah, the visiting nurse also came by this morning to check my blood. It's pretty cool really... I am on this medicine that is supposed to prevent blood clots...because this surgery has higher risks of blood clots. She tests my blood and calls the results into the blood clinic in Boston, at the hospital where I had surgery. They then notify me of how much of this medicine I am supposed to take that night based on the lab work. I guess the goal is to get my blood to a place where it is clotting, but not too much... I think once my body can keep the levels steady I can come off of the meds. I hope that happens sooner vs. later... one major reason being that until I am off that medication I have to wear these sexy white circulation socks that come all the way up to my knees. FUN! If the incision won't drive men wild, these babies surely will! I am NOT going out in public wearing these things... seriously. They are a pain in the ass to get on too, let me tell you. I have this doo-hickey thingy that is supposed to make it easy for me to put socks on...well... it is a workout and currently is a 2 person job! NUTS. And... I can only take them off when I am in bed.

Some of my bandage thingys came off today and I can better see the incision on the front of my leg. I don't think the scar is going to be wide... the doc did a great job... but the skin looks... well... for lack of a better word... puckery... maybe that will dissipate with time.

I think mom and dad are getting antsy to get home. I can't blame them... they have been away for almost two weeks. I do think that if they left I would do okay without them...but it would be much more challenging. I am hoping that they stay through the weekend, giving me a chance to practice my independence a little bit, and to keep me company. It is nice to know they are here if I need something. But, I also want them to get back to their summer, their camper in the north woods.... and who knows, maybe I will make it up there again this summer. Several of the people who camp at the same campground with them have sent me cards which is very sweet.

Today I can see that there is normalcy in my future. Though I wish heading into town for a beverage at my favorite pub was in the closer future....but again... those socks are not being worn in public! (And maybe I should wait until I am using crutches more...) My big accomplishment of the day today was carrying a cup of milk from the kitchen to the living room...Do I hear applause??? Granted I spilled a cople of drops...but I made it... with my walker...not easy. I still have only one thing decorating my walker... a lonely pig... but have a feeling that a horn or bell will be added soon.

Anyway friends... thanks for sticking by me... I do need some words of encouragement... and appreciate those of you who have seen my scars and have not run away yelling.... "It's hidious! ahhhhhh!" That's all for tonight. Hasta manana!

2 comments:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

I'm sure your cats don't mind a little spilled milk here and there...

Hope your weekend goes well. Rest, but not too much...you'll need your strength for our visit in a couple of weeks ;) I taught Ava how to say "Kim" today, even though right now both "Grammie" and "Grampie" are pronounced "Kimmie". Needless to say, we don't have high hopes for her. =o) We won't even mention Andrew right now (LOL)...Take care Girl. ;)

Torben Ness said...

So how does the CPM machine look like. after one of my surgeries i used an electric thing, where i had my leg in, and it moved to bend my knee, pasive mode, i dident use any of my muscles. And i could adjust the degrees of motion by my selves.

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place