7/30/2007

Just an update...

Nothing big to report today...Last night I told mom to speak to me around 7:30 a.m. today if she hadn't heard from me yet. I figured that I would get up early, shower, and be ready for anything. (Well...ready for the visiting nurse and PT at least!) You know what they say about good intentions... I got up around 7:00 and told mom I was going back to bed. I did not sleep well last night. I kept waking up and repositioning...it was humid, yet my fan was causing me to feel chilly...but I was too hot without it on... Crikey.. I was like Goldilocks...too hot...too cold.... so I told mom I was going to go back to bed. I did get back in bed, but did not sleep. I used my CPM machine for about 30 minutes, only up to 70 degrees to help things get moving. I did get my shower in before lunch and the visiting nurse came at 1:30 or so and drew some blood. She did not have the handy dandy machine that the other nurses have been using. The machine is like the monitor diabetics use and the only blood required is from a pin prick. Today the nurse had to draw a tube of blood...but it didn't hurt too badly. Then my PT cae by around 2:00. She got me out in the driveway walking around and it felt good. She has added that to my daily regimine, which is nice. I wonder when I can add going to a pub for a drink to my routine??? Soon??? We did the exercises we had done the other day and I am still struggling to lift that leg up independently. It is so strange to not be able to do something that seems so simple...and that I could do two weeks ago...pre-surgery. It will come. It, the therapy, was more painful today than it has been...wondering if that is because I really have cut back on the pain meds. I am still taking it, but not as often. She did tell me that it is a good idea to take some before doing PT... I agree. We also worked on stretching that front incision...by bending it as far as I can when sitting in a chair. After I bent it as far as I could, the PT pulled it even more. Ouchie! It did hurt, but not beyond what I can handle. I hope that I gain more motion there soon.

Regular blog readers know that I have had a lot to complain about when it comes to health care and insurance red tape...today I am going in the opposite direction. It has been so nice having people come to my home to help with my recovery. At this point I am not sure I could bend my knee far enough to sit in a vehicle so getting places would be challenging and most likely painful. So having people come here is great. Mom has been rounding up the cats and barricading them in a room to prevent them from getting overly involved in the therapy sessions. The cats aren't thrilled, but it does make things easier and I don't have to worry about letting the cats outside accidentally. The PT person who came to my house today is good at her job. Not only is she focusing on my knee and me making gains, but she is genuinely interested in what this journey has been for me. I am impressed by that... and appreciative. In passing, last week, I had mentioned to her that I was blogging about my experience with PVNS. Today she asked me about the blog again and asked if she could read it. I think that she really is interested in the whole healing process, not just the incisions. (By the way P... the physical therapist's first initial...I am not just blowing smoke here because you may read this... I really do appreciate your interest in this. Thank you!)

I am not sure what the evening will hold. I am still a little tired...and am currently icing my knee with my cryocuff. B(y the way... if you have not heard of or used a cryocuff before... they are a great invention. It uses ice and water to help reduce pain and swelling. I am using mine a lot these days!) I am feeling like I may be able to beat mom at canasta tonight...and am trying to get my friend Meg to come down so I can kick her butt too.

I had a good chat with Pele last night...he has been in San Diego at a convention for Sci-Fi/Comic stuff...movies, tv, etc. (Science Nerd Fest 2007!!! Just kidding Pele!) He asked me about Dr. McDreamy from the hospital...asked me if I had tried to exchange numbers..... HA... not when I had not showered for days, washed my hair for days, and had these two huge, gross, incisions on my leg.... the timing was not quite right... who knows, maybe when I go down for my follow up appt. McDreamy will be there.... A girl can hope, right?

1 comment:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

Kim-

Sorry I haven't commented this weekend...we went to the in-laws to celebrate my turning the big 3-2. However, I refuse to believe that I am really not 20 something anymore. =o)

I'm glad to hear that you are progressing with your physical therapy. I'm sure it won't be long before you're "Pubbing" it again. When you do, have a drink for me too.

We are getting excited about our trip to Maine in about 3 weeks. It will be fun for everyone to see Andrew for the first time. We will be stopping to visit you in the afternoon on Aug. 23. Don't be on a backpacking trip or anything...I just might take that personal!

Will call you some day this week - feel better!

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place