9/05/2007

I got zapped....and stretched...

I had physical therapy after school today...and yes..it hurt...but there were some new elements to it... they hooked me up to these electrode things that send electrical impulses to mu muscles...specifically my inner thigh and quad muscles. I would relax for about 20 seconds, then the electricity would start and I had to contract my muscle as much as I could until the current stopped... about 10 seconds...this lasted about 12 minutes...I guess tomorrow when I go they are going to try to hook up more electrodes and higher the juice....until my muscle spasms on its own...wihtout me controlling it...weird... the sensation was very strange. After that I had to ride a stationary bike for about 5 minutes to try to get my muscles warmed up for stretching. I was on a recumbent bike and I can't get a complete rotation on it...so I go forward about 3/4 of the way and then back as far as I can... I think it is because of my long legs... I can't put the seat back far enough to be able to get extend enough to do a full rotation at this point...I could prior to surgery...but that's ok. After the bike I had to lay on my stomach and the therapist did a very deep massage on the back of my leg...hamstring. Sounds like it would feel good? Well... at times it was ok, but she pushed hard and it hurt... I am afraid I might have bruises tomorrow. But I know I need it. Then I rolled over and tried to straighten my leg and she pushed down on it...hard......as far as I could stand it....wow..... it was not pleasant...but afterward I did feel like my leg was straighter. I am sure tomorrow will be more of the same. ahhhhhhhh... I am going to try not to take pain meds tonight...I haven't taken any in about two weeks and don't want to start again. My leg was stiff this morning, I think from yesterday. When I first got up I wondered how tough the day would be, but it gradually worked itself out.

The kids at school are too cool! Today I had a kid who was MAD because he had to come into my room during a study period. It is the only part of the day I get to see him...like a lot of kids he hates being associated with special ed. But I have to say that I think I got to him a little...as I talked about how things will work and why they have to come and see me...he started to smile a little...until I noticed he was, then he got very somber again... but I think I will be able to get to him...I think he is my challenge for the year...and I am psyched for it. Another kid that I have is awesome too...he has a condition called Aspergers...a form of autism...and I love that kind of kid...He is soooo serious at times....buttons ALL three buttons on his polo shirts and is very structured. Part of Aspergers is not always understanding people's humor and seeing things very black and white. Today I tested that a little bit and I think it's going ot be fun...ok...one more kid story... there is a kid to whim I have no formal connection...he is not identified as having a disability, so legally, I have no attachment to him...however, he is a kid who needs a little extra TLC and some space where things are a little less hectic than the crowded halls...so he is keeping his things in my classroom instead of a locker. Today he was in and out of my room a few times and had big grins when he saw me in the halls.... ok..I know... I said that was all...but just one more... One of my students comes from a family of lobstermen...he lobstered all summer and will continue to do his own traps on weekends during the school year...he doesn't have cable because he is always out lobstering. How cool is that? He knows a lot of things that public education will never teach him...or even value for that matter...yet he has skills that will sustain him throughout his life...very cool. Hmmmm I wonder if he knows Captain Tom.......(from the lobsterboat I took my nephew on this summer...hmmmm....)

Oh yeah... as I was waiting for PT today I was people watching. I saw a man come in...maybe in his 40s...he had a ID that appeared to mean he worked at the facility I was in...he was followed by an elderly woman and I am not sure, but I think perhaps he had provided transportation for her to get to her appointment. The key part of that statement was that he was followed by her.... even if they were not arriving together...what was he thinking? First...hold the door for the little old lady.... heck...hold the door for the lady....come on man....Not long after that a couple came into the waiting area where I was seated and the man came in first and he didn't even hold the door open after himself for his lady...what's up with that??? Maybe I am getting picky in my old age...but I want chivalry!!

Ok... I gotta go and type up some student profiles....didn't know my head was so busy today. Later Gators!

1 comment:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

So, we're back in sunny CA. It was great to see you. I'm sorry to hear that your Gram hasn't been doing very well. It's difficult to know what to do in some family situations. I hope you are doing OK. Give me a call if you ever want to talk. Glad to hear that school is going well and you're tolerating your physical therapy. Love ya! =o)

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place