2/09/2008

Sue is 30

My friend and gym buddy, Sue, turned 30 today. Yay Sue! A few of us got together for dinner and then went to some bars. We went to this delicios Thai place for dinner. After that I challenged the group... well the group of us, 5, about to go out on the town.... that each of us needed to initiate a conversation with one man. It was a good challenge.. and those of us who accepted the challenge succeeded. My first victim...I mean... guy.. was an employee of one of the bars... so the group voted that it did not count... I would argue, saying that he was not the bartender nor the door guy, so he was not an employee with whom I had to interact.. but that's ok... I did anyway. This Irish bar has an upstairs... and upstairs there is an old fashioned hutch... on the very top of this hutch.. that is close to 6 feet tall... sits an old old typerwriter... which I admit in the past I have pretended to use to write a letter.... there also sits a bell... the kind you would picture on an old school teacher's desk...with a fairly long handle... and for the record... it isn't just a decoration... It has a dinger thingy inside... and when shaken.. clangs.. loudly.... even during a loud football game.... (yes... I did that....) tonight there was a new item on the hutch... a beach ball. ALthough I really had no desire to do anything with the out of place beach ball... I decided I would use it to interact with one of the employees. As this poor guy, perhaps 22, walked by I told him that it was my friend's birthday...and asked if we could get the beach ball down... and throw it around.. like people do at concerts... he was a little unsure of how to react... and thought about it... and gently declined my request...saying that once things got busier, the ball may cause a ruckus... or something like that. I told him I understood.... the next time he came 'round I asked him if I oculd ring the bell. (again... though he didn't know that...) and he told me that he thought it was best to let the bell simply be a decoration. By this point my friends are laughing at me... and he thinks they are laughing at him... and perhaps thought I was trying to hit on him... which I wasn't... after all he was like 12.... there were some other interactionw with him as he was circulating.... and I kept talking to him... it was fun. After a bit I think he avoided our table. So... since that did not fulfill the challenge... though I think I deserve points for it.... I kept going... told a guy that I liked his glasses...asked him where he got them.... kind of lame, but it counted! Then we went to another place... and sat next to some people we didn't know... and I started talking to the guy next to me... he was also a good sport. I tried to get Sue a free drink.. by telling this guy that we were celebrating her birthday and I was so surprised that no man had bought her a drink....because she is so cute. He agreed... but didn't buy her a drink.. darn it. Then... Sue go ther chance to fulfill the challenge... and did so while threatening to kick some guys butt.... not really... but it sounds good. The place was pretty crowded... and apparently there was a guy behind me who kept touching my hair... I could not feel it. Sue noticed it and was like.. what is he doing... so she got up and asked him... A woman at the table next to us had noticed and mentioned it to us too... after Sue sat back down I nudged the guy's shoulder and motioned him closer to me. I asked him if I could play with his hair since he played with mine... He thought that was ok... so I took his baseball hat off... and said... ooooh... you better be careful.. looks like early male pattern baldness.... it was funny... then... I purelled my hands... It was fun. Some of the other party - goers were Sue's sister... you may remember a pic of the two of them ... after they decorated my walker.... the walker is taller than they are! Another one of our friends from college was there... and two friends of Sue's from growing up together... I will refer to them as "C squared" because I am not sure if they would permit me to use their names. They are fun... saw them at the superbowl party last weekend too. IT was a fun night...

Other than birthday fun... I did make it to the gym today... and my knee is sore.. and has given out on me a few times today... I am hoping it is because I haven't been to the gym much this week... and I need to..I think it strengthens my knee a lot... We also had a team gathering... the last of the season... the parents had made up some pictures for us to have.. very nice.

Anyway.. that's my adventure for now.... it was a fun night... Happy BDay Sue!

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place