2/05/2008

Defining moments

It has been a long week... long day. School was delayed for a couple hours due to the weather...and the drive was bad. But we got there and made it through the day. I was grumpy though... not sure why...but the kids drove me nuts today... absolutely nuts. I wanted to avoid them...that's not good. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be crappy too, but later in the day and it looks as though we may have an early release from school. We'll see. Anyway...

Tonight at practice one of my girls was having a tough time. I have known her since she was in 8th grade...was one of the students I worked with...at the time she was going through a lot...she was an angry girl. She has come a long way... a very long way. She joined track last year as a junior and did okay with it. She is very aware of her abilities and I believe, has overcome some social fears to be a part of a team. Tonight she was sad... I could tell as soon as she walked in... and I greeted her and said... I recognize that face... you ok? and she said it had been a difficult day... after some careful prodding... I learned that she had asked a boy to accompany her to her senior prom and was rejected. Once practice began she seemed frustrated with her event and I went over and talked to her... she said she was having one of those moments where she really wondered if it was worth it... if she should quit... I told her that it was in those moments that we define ourselves... she asked in what way... I said.... either we quit... or we don't. She kept practicing...

My knee is sore today... not sure why... I kind of want to attribute it to the weather...and to the fact that I haven't worked out since... last Wednesday I think... not good. I am going in the morning. I feel so good when I am working out... so why do I have those moments where it would be easy to quit... to stop... to find excuses? Why does something that is so good for me so hard to keep up with?

I am tired today and I think I need to not get too philosophical... so that's all for now.

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place