1/11/2008

Thinking...

Rodin's The Thinker.. I did a lot of thinking today... about PVNS...and my experience with it. I was wondering if my experience is typical... specifically wondering about the time it has taken me to recover...would the recovery have been faster had I been diagnosed and had surgery when I was really healthy, working out 5 times a week? Would the recovery have been easier? I wondered about this today because I got an email this morning from someone who will be having surgery next week... will be having the same surgery I had and was told that she would be able to return to work in a couple of weeks...maybe not all day, but for part days... She also happens to be a teacher. Some of my blog entries caused her more anxiety and she is worrying about managing everything. I know that my blog has been about my experiences and I have been as open as I can be, so that will continue... for me, I know I could not have gone back to work after two weeks. After reading the email today I thought about that... a lot...Two weeks post surgery... would have been one week after I had gotten home... I wasn't able to drive...because I didn't have the mobility to bend my knee far enough to get into my truck... I am trying to remember... My parents were here with me and I was resting a lot still at that point. To think about adding work to that mix... wow... not sure... At that point I am not even sure I was allowed to completely get showered...no I must have been.. I will have to go back and look at my blogs... PVNS is so hard... so hard... a word that came into my head a lot today thinking about this person was isolating... not that she sounds like she is...but I remember that feeling... even surrounded by people who loved me. Tired of complaining about it... tired of talking about it.. tired of feeling it... fearing it.. hating it.... knowing nobody truly understood....isolating... isolating... makes me feel sad... for her... for me.... for people suffering with a condition...PVNS or another painful condition... I wish there was a quick fix to PVNS... but for me... the journey continues... the drama...I do see that there will be a time when PVNS is not a part of my immediate thought process... but it is still a daily part of my life...and the scars will always remind me... not a very upbeat blog tonight. I wish I could help her in some way... be there... somehow...

...This is going to be a busy weekend... Tonight some of the parents of the kids on the team had a dinner for our team tonight... It was very nice... salads, pastas, fruit salad, meatballs, etc... a lot of kids came and it was great. Tomorrow I coach all day and will see a friend tomorrow night. Sunday I will go to the gym and recover from the physical toll of standing up so much while coaching... I know I should sit down more, but that's no fun when you want to cheer for the kids!

2 comments:

K. said...

From what my doctor told me, your surgery takes a LOT more time to heal from. I wouldn't second guess your journey. I think the docs sometimes give an overly optimistic prognosis for post-op recovery, knowing that our recovery is often more a point of view than physical. If we go into recovery expecting it to be hard, it WILL be hard. But if we expect to cope and heal well, we at least have a chance at recovering quickly. Cheer up, TallGal. Your blog is not scary. It's supportive and candid. Thank you!

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

Hey,

Sorry I haven't been commenting on your blog lately...I've been reading, just not commenting. =o) It's been pretty hectic the last week, getting all of the paperwork done for the closing on our house. It's still on for Thursday...so far. We can't wait until we are finally moved in and settled.

It sounds like school and your coaching are going well. I really need to call you and catch up on things. Be sure you have some stories of the "romantic" type to share (A shout out to your Mom here) =o). I have to live vicariously through my single friends now, you know! LOL

Give me another week or so to get moved and I'll ring you with my new number. Take care! =o)

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place