1/17/2008

Gratitude

I did not take this picture... I found it online... and think it is beautiful. Today there are a few different topics that are traveling through my mind. First... I got a very nice surprise today... I was at practice today and the girl I wrote about last night got to practice and had brought me flowers. I was taken aback... She had brought a small bouquet of flowers and a card... to thank me for yesterday. Wow. I gave her a hug and told her how much I appreciated it and told her she could talk to me anytime. I hope she will come to me if she ever needs to. It's funny... because after she gave me the flowers several kids asked me who had given me the flowers...now at this age... high school... it can sometimes be seen as uncool to do things like that for teachers/coaches... so I said, from a really sweet person. She piped up and said it was her... and when the other kids asked her why, she kind of smiled and shrugged her shoulders. Cool... a kid who does something so sweet... is ok with other kids knowing she did something like that... but also wants to keep some things to herself. I kept my eye on her at practice today... and she seemed happier than I have seen her in a while. I am not taking credit for that... but was very happy to see her that way. I wouldn't want to see her acting happy if she wasn't happy... but I think she was in a good mood today. She came over to the shot put area and hung out with me for a while tonight, practicing her throws.. and they were her best so far this year. She so does not look like a shot put thrower, but she does it... and does it well. She also helped me... one of our other coaches... a guy with GREAT intentions and good knowledge of most events in track... sometimes overcoaches on the days of the meets. He gives the kids too much information between each of their throws and gets them too much into their heads. This coach, for lack of a better word, really annoys a lot of the kids...not just the kids throwing shot...and this girl had talked to me about it, so I talked to him about it tonight... not giving too much detail, but just telling him that at the meet this week, he needs to give her some space... and he said he would. We'll see. She also helped me out by giving me the flowers... what is it about getting flowers that feels good? How sweet. Some of the kids asked if the flowers were from my boyfriend... in that ooooohhhh coach... flowers??? I smiled...and said no... some of the girls suggested I lie and say they were... part of me wanted to say my boyfriend would send tulips...or sunflowers...or Gerber daisies...which I am sure he would... if I had one... roses would also be nice... I have never received roses... but I suppose that may be because there truly has not been a time when it would have been right to get the dozen roses from someone... without it seeming like "he" would have been trying to hard, or just doing something that "he" felt he should do... which I guess is good... because maybe when I get that white box of a dozen long stem roses... it will be right... and it will be amazing...

OK then... back to reality... Hi.. I'm back from whatever fantasy I just stepped into... Anyway...


Today is kind of a milestone for me. Six months ago today... I had surgery... and at this point in the day was in recovery... my sister, parents, and friends by my side...SIX MONTHS... it doesn't seem possible. Yet...in the way that only time can...it also feels like something very much in my past... long ago. It's kind of fitting that tonight I called a woman who is having this same surgery tomorrow to wish her well. Time... timing... both are subtle and uncontrollable...yet often have so much control over lives.

I want to say hello to my mom...she has not been feeling well for about a week... actually longer, but her symptoms this week were pretty intense...come to find out... she has a kidney infection... but she went to the doctor and is on meds to make her all better. Thankfully, she thinks it is already helping.

Oh yeah... I almost forgot... I knew there was going to be something that I forgot or at least came close to forgetting... This is my 202nd post! I was trying to keep track and was going to make sure I recognized my 200th post...when I posted it.. but apparently that has been less of a focus for me. That's a lot of writing... and for some avid blog followers... a lot of reading.

Anyway... this blog is a little scattered. Wish I could tell you that is unlike the way I think... but you know me better than that by now.

1 comment:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

Hey girl,

I can't tell you enough how much I admire your dedication to the kids you teach and coach. They are so luck to have you! You are making such a difference in their lives...you will be one of those teachers that they will remember fondly...even when they're old like us. =o) You really have a tremendous gift for teaching.

It's hard to believe that it has been six months since your surgery. It has been a privilege to read your journey through this blog...

We are moving into the house this weekend. I am not sure how much I'll be online in the next week or two (it takes a while to get all of the services hooked up), but I'll catch up on the blog when I get back online. Wish us luck! Love ya...

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place