1/25/2008

Art

I went to the local Museum of Art tonight... it is a great museum and there are some paintings there that I absolutely love. Many of the paintings stay in the museum in the same locations... but other pieces change and the main floor of the museum is where the main exhibits are held. The exhibit that is there now is sculpture... which is an interesting way to describe it... when I think of sculpture i think of someone using their hands to smooth something out.. like clay or marble.... but this artist's sculptures are anything but smooth... they are all created out of nails...different sized nails...or spikes... and they are amazing. John Bisbee is the name of the artist... the problem with such an exhibit is that I wanted to touch every single piece... and had to truly hold myself back... as I tried to follow the rules on the signs saying to stay at least 18 inches away from all artwork... How this man can create the sculptures with nails is pretty impressive.. to have the foresight to do what he has done is pretty impressive. I tried to find one of his pieces online, but the ones that came up are not the ones that show the intricacy of his work. But it is pretty cool... I also got to see one of my favorite paintings... Blue Savannah, by Dahlov Ipcar. This is it:
It's amazing. I am very excited because I have been wanting the print for some time now... and tonight I bought it... and it was on sale..half off... so guess what? I bought 2... one for home, one for my classroom. Yay! I can't wait to frame the one for my home and get it up on my walls... maybe it will inspire me to do more painting. The one I will put in my classroom will be laminated... I also saw, in the gift shop a book about Dahlov Ipcar's art... that was a mistake.. there are more paintings that I fell in love with... I love her work... actually her artwork that falls into an African genre. She has other paintings depicting various aspects of Maine life, but the African paintings are just amazing. Amazing. There are other beautiful paintings there are well... NC Wyeth's paintings are incredible. I am by no means an art critic or guru...but I do enjoy walking through the museum...watching people look at the art is part of the art. There were people there alone, some with a friend or two... some with significant others...some with families. There were some young children there and it was fun to see them...especially as they looked at the sculptures. they sooo wanted to touch them... and as their dad pointed to one part of a sculpture to describe welding to them... the kids both pulled him back telling him not to touch... it was cute. There are also paintings that make me wonder why it is displayed at a museum... and how someone could make money being an artist with that...but... art is in the eye of the beholder. I am surprised that I like some of the more abstract art.

I didn't walk around as much as I may have liked.. my knees were stiff.. I did go to the gym this morning...and that sound you hear is me patting myself on the back because it was hard to get up that early this morning... this very cold morning. but this was the sixth day in a row and I think that was a lot... I walked on the treadmill for 35 minutes... and I don't think it was too much, but think that my knee needs a break... so I will not go to the gym tomorrow... but maybe on Sunday... we'll see how I am feeling. I am not going to go on Mondays... that will be my day off... simply because Mondays are about to get very hectic as my class starts...combined with teaching and coaching... there is too much to try to fit into the day...

Anyway... I am beat.. and heading to bed....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so glad you had a great time! and congrats on your art acquisition -- i know that painting makes you feel good. it will be nice to have it at home and work!

--lola

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place