5/06/2009

Dread

Sooo... this weekend is finally here... it's one I have been dreading for a long time...I always knew it would happen eventually... but not this soon... I mean it was bound to happen, but I didn't think I would have to face it for another twenty or thirty years....when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and we learned it was inoperable... I knew this would be sooner than I ever expected...

34 years ago from this Friday, my mom celebrated her 23rd birthday...and she celebrated in the hospital... because she had delivered a baby... me... as the story goes...mom was not a pleasant woman during her pregnancy with me. I was one of those "oops" babies... the doctor told her that she was having twins, maybe triplets... but it was just me...mom always swore she had carried me for a year... that I was due in February, but stayed put until May...but when I decided to arrive, it happened fast, so fast that the cigar smoking doctor came into the hospital, put his cigar in an ashtray, delivered me, walked out and picked up the same smoldering cigar and left... and when I was born, my face was so squished up that the doctor wondered if I was blind...and I was colossal... I held the record at the hospital for a while as the biggest baby born there...

Every birthday since then... we have been together...together... we had developed some birthday traditions... at the conclusion of time spent together that was close to our birthday... we would hug each other goodbye and acknowledge that it was the last hug we would give each other at whatever age we were... every year since my adulthood, we have gotten together on our birthday or soon thereafter... sometimes meeting halfway between her house and mine for lunch or dinner...and then there was our annual competition... we each tried to be the first one to wish the other one a happy birthday...which in recent years would play out by whichever one of us answered the phone call would say Happy Birthday instead of hello... winning the 'I said it first' competition... when I was really young, mom would make birthday cakes... kind of fancy ones... I remember one of those round cakes with a Barbie doll sticking out of the center...the cake doubled as Barbie's skirt... but as I got older mom decided that it was her birthday too and she was done making fancy cakes... done making birthday cakes period... so we began buying Pepperidge Farms cakes as our birthday cake... there were also the extra special years when out birthday also fell on mother's day... I've always loved that we shared a birthday and felt that it made us somehow more special...it feels even more special now...


It's been almost three weeks since mom died....and I knew for a while now... or at least highly suspected... that mom wouldn't be here this year... on our birthday... for mother's day... but knowing that it was going to come... hasn't made it easier...hasn't made seeing the gigantic mother's day cards that fill the aisles any easier...

"The firsts are hard..." so many people have told me that... the first mother's day... the first Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc... the first birthday of my life that I don't share with my mom....that I don't have a mom... it sucks...

Waking up Friday is going to be hard...facing that day... facing the weekend...

I've thought a lot about how I wanted to spend my birthday for a long time... and knew I would not be going to work... I contemplated getting up in the morning and heading to the ocean for the day...I thought about not getting out of bed that day and ignoring the outside world... and I still think that idea has merit... but instead... my dad and I are heading to see my sister and her family for the weekend... I invited us down... because in some way I hope that it will distract me from how sad I feel about missing a shared birthday...

I hope it works... and I am scared it won't.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim: If you ever have the desire to visit San Francisco--which might be a nice change of scenery and diverting for you--know that you've got a blog buddy out here who can get you set up inexpensively in a fancy Marriott Hotel (I've got connections) and would gladly give you a tour or point you in the right direction/s. My heart aches for you and your family.
-Karen-

TallGal said...

Thanks Karen...Maybe one day I will head west to see San Diego!

TallGal said...

oops... San Fran!

Maineman said...

Lots of good wishes for you Friday and every day, TallGal. I wish there were a way to make your special day rewarding and fun, without the painful sadness you've been feeling. I really feel for you and your family. You definitely deserve better; to enjoy your Birthday. It is your special day, since that was when a special person was born ;-)

I hope the time that you spend with your Dad and your Sister will help bring you some smiles and happiness that makes your day as enjoyable as it could be. I know it won't be easy for you. Hoping for the best. But I really wish you a Happy Birthday, TallGal. Take Care.

Anonymous said...

Grab a friend or two during the summer break, take advantage of the great airfares now and plan to spend at least a week. You could tour SF (very cozy, safe city) and perhaps take a day trip up to the wine country or out to Muir Woods (some of the oldest living anythings on the planet are there. Tall redwoods). Yes, in my way, I'm trying to help you transition from the grief to finding everyday joy again. :) The hotel probably won't cost more than $700 for a week. It's the Downtown "jukebox" Marriott. Truly, consider it. And we can compare PVNS scars, too! Ooh, now that make the trip REAL attractive, no?

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place