12/05/2007

"You don't look like the knitting type..."



That's what a man said to me tonight when I was buying some yarn. Is that a compliment or an insult? When I think of someone who knits I think of an older lady in a rocking chair, her lap covered by a quilt, with white hair and glasses. I am glad I don't look like that kind of knitter.... yet anyway... I also think of someone who knits as someone who has people to knit for... family... kids... making something with love to keep someone warm... maybe that is the kind of knitter I want to be thought of as being...

Anyway.... I was so tired last night... I had our first track practice after a long day of teaching and a morning workout. I went to bed last night, my knee feeling stiff, and worrying that I was going to wake up and barely able to walk. So I made a conscious decision to not get up to go to the gym this morning. Surprisingly I woke up and didn't feel overly stiff... so, that's good. I made it through the day and coached again tonight, and feel much more energetic than last night. Coaching was awesome tonight. I have a group of kids who are very coachable... some of the kids are new to the sport and do not know what to expect. We did a lot of conditioning drills and the kids were into it. It's going to be a great season... I may not have as many star throwers as I had last year, BUT... their attitudes are awesome and they are young... so... it is a building year... but I may have a couple of kids who surprise the heck out of people! Fun.

The news about my knee is still settling in... and more and more I am believing that PVNS may be in my past. Though I found myself hesitating to say so yesterday, when a parent of one of my track kids asked something about my knee...remembering I had surgery (the biopsy/arthroscopy) last March... I told him I had gone through a major surgery this summer and said that I "have" a rare condition.... I started to say had when I was talking to him... and couldn't... even though I know that once the lining of my knee was removed, technically I no longer had PVNS... I still have felt like I have it... so...my brain is starting to wrap itself around this... and... I catch myself doing things... being happy... or silly... in ways I haven't been for a while.... I have been worried about how to return to my life... how I would re-enter myself... if that makes sense... and I guess it will just happen...naturally... the tentativeness to engage in physical activities is lessening... and I think that my confidence is resurfacing... I don't think it has been gone...my confidence...but I do think that I felt so bad with my knee stuff, that I felt bad in a lot of ways.

Life is looking good....I gotta go for now... gotta put some of that yarn to use.

1 comment:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

I think the "Yarn Guy" was hitting on you. You should have asked him if he "needed something to keep him warm this winter". =O)

That's all I'll say...I know your Mom reads this! Hee Hee

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place