12/18/2007

Got church?


I went to the gym tonight after coaching. That's 2 nights in a row... yay me! I did not do much either night because my knee was a little stiff after the weekend.... I think walking around a lot Saturday after the gym was a bit much... but you live and you learn, right? I did increase the resistance on the bike.. so that is a step in the right direction. I have not yet returned to the elliptical because I think it caused my other knee to be sore because I probably favored my left knee...but I will work it into the routine soon enough. I was sooooooooooo tired last night and am again tonight. But I have been sleeping well, so that's good.

As I was leaving the gym tonight a car was pulling in and the windows went down and I heard a friendly voice. It was the distinct voice of the father of some kids I have coached. This family is wonderful... they moved to the US from Africa... This family consists of 6 children, 5 boys and 1 girl. This man asked me how I was doing and where I had been... as he had not seen me in a while. After exchanging pleasantries and shaking hands he asked me something.... "When are you going to come to our church?"

I am not sure what church he attends...what denomination...and... if I want to go... so my response... "I don't know where your church is!" (Smile... start to walk away...) He told me where it was and said, I will send a pamphlet to school with one of the boys! Soooo... we'll see if that happens... and if it does... will I go? should I go?

Religion is not necessarily my cup of tea... however, I do believe in God...very strongly. Beyond that... I don't have it all figured out. I have never read the bible... don't plan on reading the bible... I pray... not on my knees...and often not out loud. There are times I have sought a church in which I felt like I belonged... as a kid I remember going to a Baptist church...then later went to the congregational church with my grandmother... my most vivid memories of going to church? People gossipping about other people....what they were wearing as they came into church... who they were sitting with...and whatever else popped into their heads and did not go through a filter. Not exactly what I thought church should be...

As an adult I have gone to a couple of local churches...and while the people made me feel welcomed... it didn't "fit." My parents have become very involved in their church recently... my mom has always had, I believe, a strong faith and belief in God. I don't think her beliefs has changed as of late, but her expression has... she talks more openly about her beliefs and enjoys talking about it. I think that the church has given my parents a better sense of community... and it is good for them. Will I go to the church to which I was invited by that gentleman tonight? Who knows...

As Christmas approaches... perhaps the most religious holiday of all... I find myself without a church.... but with a lot of faith.... which I suppose is better than with a church and without faith...

Oh yeah... my Christmas travel plans have been finalized... I am heading out to my sister's house... with my parents... It will be nice.

1 comment:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

I couldn't agree more with your "church" blog entry. We would like to join a church once the kids are a little older, but I want it to be the right fit. Guess we'll see what happens...
Enjoy Christmas with your family!

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place