4/05/2009

Weekend accomplished!!?


My goals for the weekend included taking care of myself, being active, and getting some school stuff done... 2/3 isn't bad, right? I did take care of myself and was very active, but did not get any school stuff done... just couldn't make myself do it... other things seemed more important... and I will get the paperwork done...

today was another active day... My good friend Meg came to town to hit the gym with me and then to have brunch. At the gym I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and lots of stretching... my muscles were tight from yesterday's step class. I also did some weight training with my arms, and feel good about that.

Later in the day Suellen and I went for a bike ride and it was a lot of fun. We guesstimate that we rode about 3.6 miles today.. and I look forward to increasing that distance. We did have some small inclines and we handled it... it was great. I had a moment where I felt like... ahhh... I remember this feeling, being active and enjoying it...THAT is who I am... on the inside... and I just need to do some work to make the outside match the inside... I am athletic... active... and I just need to eliminate more of the factors that have limited those aspects... my knee... is good... my feet... good... so... I just have to make my feet and my knees work together with the rest of my body and make it happen.

So while I feel guilty for not seeing my mom and dad this weekend... I feel like this weekend was a major kick start for me... for spring, for me being active... I want to start taking my bike with me to my parents' house to have an option for an activity... and I am giving myself permission to leave their house for an hour or so to do something active... I can do that.

I was very happy that Meg wanted to do something active too... we got to visit and talked about our mothers... but we also were taking care of ourselves at the same time.

Suellen and I got a chance to talk more too... about being active. She has been my biggest cheerleader through my knee recovery... she went to the gym with me when I still took a crutch to help me get around... she clapped for me when I finally got the elliptical to recognize that I was on the machine for five continuous minutes... she was there when I completed my first mile after surgery... she has been there... encouraging me... and I appreciate that. We spend time together often and today we realized that we go out to eat together sometimes and spend about $20 at a meal... with that $20 we could go to 2 fitness classes and swimming 4 times, and still have $2.00 left! So... we decided today that if we want to share a meal, we will.. but we will do so at one of our houses... with healthy food and save our money for activities to make us healthier. That doesn't mean that we won't go out for social things once in a while, but... we need to shift our priorities.

So, I feel great... about my activity level and what it means, that I can be active and will be active given the chance...no.. not given the chance... that sounds too accidental... I will be active, and I will choose to be active regularly.

My plan is to hit the gym in the mornings this week and any other activity is bonus... tomorrow afternoon I am working my part time job, so no bonus activity tomorrow, but... the rest of the week will have some activities planned... it should be a good, healthy week.

I will head up to see my parents next weekend... but I will take my bike with me if weather permits.

Picture from: http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/DGV/DGV050/1104032.jpg

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place