4/21/2009

Gathering together

Today we will honor my mom in a small gathering...mom didn't want a funeral, just wanted people to gather together to have some sense of closure. Family, friends, and strangers (to me, friends to my parents) will gather today to say good bye to an amazing woman...

One of my friends said to me, your mom lived a good life... which is something normally siad when an elderly person dies and death seems more natural... but it is a true statement... the amount of good that my mother did in her life... was way beyond what most people could do in hundreds of years... people will remember her... for her laughter, smile, sunny outlook, aristic abilities.... but most of all, for her love of her family.

Yesterday my friend, Sara, came up... and is staying until tomorrow... it has been so good to have here here... some of my other friends are making the trip up today as well.

Another significant step in all this... is that today my dad will see his mother and his siblings... and that is going to be sooo hard for him. We have invited his family to come to the house for lunch, before the gathering...so that dad can have a little privacy when seeing Grammie... He is so strong... but as I know all too well, the love of a mother is unlike anything else, and seeing his mom is going to make him fall apart... maybe not fall apart, but will allow him to have a soft place to land.


Wish me luck today..

2 comments:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

Best of luck today. Wish I could be there with you, but sending hugs and good thoughts...as always.

Maineman said...

God Bless you and your family. I wish for the all of the goodness of your mom's life to be celebrated by you all. Best of luck today.

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place