7/19/2008

Boston Results



I saw my doctor in Boston yesterday. No new news to report really... As previously reported, there are no signs of PVNS. (Big SMILE!) I got to see similar slides of the MRI from before and after and there is a big difference. I will see if I can try to navigate my way through them and post them for the PVNSers out there. I got the answers to my questions... the numbness/tingling sensation I have on my scar and a little to the left of my scar near the kneecap is normal... the sugery involved some cutting near nerves that can be effected... full feeling may or may not return. I have NO RESTRICTIONS!!! I need to listen to my body and not increase more than 10% a week, but I can go full speed ahead. I do need to focus still on strengthening my quad in that left knee.. but he was not surprised that it was still weaker. My range of motion is good... the scars look good.. well... for scars... He had an intern come in and look at the incisions and talk to me about the condition... I told him that if he ever comes across it in a patient to be understanding and know how much pain is really involved... not like is described in the research... I relayed a story of having to stop grocery shopping, leaving a cart with food in it... and leaving the store because the pain was so bad I was about to cry... he was surprised and my doctor even said that he didn't realize it had gotten that bad. He asked me how I was doing compared to a year ago... and I chuckled... a year ago I was pretty heavily medicated post surgery... but I knew what he meant... in one word.... BETTER.... in two words... MUCH BETTER... I told him he was my superhero. I do have to go back in a year... with another MRI... to see how it looks. While it is gone for now... PVNS is aggressive and can return. My doc shared a story of a man who has been PVNS free for 4 years post surgery, but it is back... it is not yet causing symptoms, but they are now watching him closely... so... it won't be completely off my radar screen.. but it surely is on the perimeter!

I am back in Maine... with two nephews in tow... last night I went out with my sister and some of her girlfriends to celebrate some birthdays and celebrate they did! It was fun... I have never seen some of those dance moves before! the drive back involved a lot of traffic and sitting in traffic... the boys did very well... we hit the beach tonight and I will post pics soon... they are amazing kids... and I am already reminded of how much work it all is... but so worth it.



This was the beach tonight... gorgeous, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Kim!
I, too, seem to be PVNS free for now (7 mos since surgery). My knee has a little bit of numbness, too. Interesting to know yours does too. But thrilled for you that you're in the clear. May it always be so from here on out. Tough year for you...celebrate this anniversary knowing you've got a blog buddies all around the world (and even in California) rootin' for ya!

Maineman said...

The best headline that I've seen on a newspaper in a long time :-) LOL Great to hear that your appointment had good news for you. Hopefully it is just a start for even better news as you continue to work out and condition yourself.

I hope that your 1-year celebration has been fun for you. I toast to that!

The photo is a beautiful view of the ocean. It's nice to see a colorful view like that at sun-set. I hope that you and your nephews have a great time together and have fun.

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place