6/04/2009

Survived the MRI... we'll see about the results


I had my MRI yesterday... I got there early, as they had requested...and I waited...and waited... They started about 40 minutes later than they were supposed to. Plus... they had to put an IV in because they needed to inject dye at one point. The woman who had to stick me, did so in one place and it wasn't a good vein... she told me my veins were very small... a little irony from the universe... so she had to do a second attempt... and that one worked... after all that... we got going... it lasted about an hour and a half and it was not as pain free as I hoped. The pain wasn't terrible, but after that amount of time in the same position I was ready to have it over. One cool part was that in order to do the MRI (and all the other ones I have had...) they put what is called a coil around my knee... basically, it is like a pipe that goes from my lower thigh to my upper shin... they put it on by having me put my leg in the bottom half of the coil and then place the top half on and secure it... in past MRIs... my knee was either too swollen or just too big to fit into one of their coils... so in the past, they had to figure out an alternate way to do it... but last night, my leg fit in the coil with no problems and maybe even a little extra space... that's good. I was very happy about that. So, I got the dvd with the images on it and I have yet to look at it. I am not sure what I would be looking for, and if I found something questionable... I would worry...so I am just going to wait.

The stressful part of getting the MRI was getting is all set up and arguing with my local dr's office ... and then there was the debate about whether or not to use dye... the place where I had the MRI done said that because I had it done with dye in the past, their protocols required it he done that way again... so today I called my doc's office in Boston and they told me I hadn't needed to do one with dye, but that the office where I had it done required it... that makes no sense to me... why does the radiologists get to make decisions that don't align with the doctors? Oh well... for now... this one is behind me... I will get the results in 22 days.. and then... I have decided that I want to change my primary care doctor... not because of my doctor, I really like her, but... because of the hassle that happens every time I need a referral. EVERY time... so I am going to change to an office where that does not happen. (I hope!)

After the MRI I had a nice evening with a friend and was able to relax... Today has been a long day... for some reason this day seemed like it was never going to end! But it did... I left work and went to gas up my truck to head up to see Dad this weekend. Then I went to Cabela's and bought myself a life jacket so that when I kayak this summer I am nice and safe. I am looking forward to heading to see my Dad... it will still be hard of course, but it will be good to check on him, in person. He is working at his church's bean supper on Saturday evening... so I am planning to take my bike with me and when he's serving beans, I am going to riding my bike.... good plan. (I want to make sure I do it because I won't get to the gym tomorrow unless I get up early to go... which I am not planning on doing.... but I am heading to Zumba tonight... wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i forgot to tell you that lola's husband says if anyone his office talked to you like that lady does, he would fire her on the spot. just thought i'd let you know. :)

TallGal said...

:-) Thanks Lola's husband...

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place