11/09/2008

Groceries... and sexism?

OK.. So I was going to find some cute piece of clip art pertaining to grocery shopping for today's blog... and I noticed that the majority of the clip art pictures were women shopping... there are a few with men shopping, but most of them were women... so...do we still associate certain tasks with gender? Perhaps. Today is not a bad example of that... I was getting some things outside ready for winter - raking leaves, putting my bike away, etc... and called my parents to ask about my grill... should I put it on the porch that has a roof over it? Should I leave the propane tank outside or in the basement? Would it be ok if I just left it outside where there is no protection covered with a tarp? So when I called home my dad was not home and my mom said... well... you'll have to ask your father. (His advice was to store it on the covered porch... as it turns out, my landlord is going to let me store it in the garage... I don't have access to the garage, but they will get it out for me when I need it in the spring...it just means no grilling this winter... I am ok with that.) Then... tonight I went to the grocery store to use the turkey gift certificate... and after I got there I was not sure if I should buy a whole turkey or three turkey breasts... so I called home and mom answered.. and after much discussion and knowing that our family rarely eats the dark meat from a turkey... we opted for the breasts...then on my way home I called them again, Dad answered... I asked about transporting the turkey breasts to their house... do I need to put it in a cooler? with ice? his response? I don't know... ask yuh mothah...(that's dad's Maine accent... not quite the same on the blog!) so mom got on the phone... (Granted... both the grill question and the turkey question are ones that I am probably smart enough to figure out on my own, but... I like asking them questions and want to make sure that I make the right choices... yes I am 33 and I still like my parents opinions... I mean... they have done pretty well so far in life, they must be doing something right!) So anyway... Dad knew about the grill, mom knew about the turkey... traditional? Sexist? Or... simply.. that's what they each knew?

So instead of grocery clip art... I searched for one about being indecisive... because that's how I felt a lot of today... And I really liked that picture. Click here for the website for it.

I went to the gym today to work out... Today was arms... so I warmed up on the bike, did my arms... sometimes I hate doing arms... because my arms are so weak compared to my legs... but I do feel stronger when it is over. Then I did a mile on the elliptical followed by more biking....it was a good workout... plus the leaf raking and everything else outside was a pretty good workout too...

It was a good weekend...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place