11/05/2008

Dance, Be Happy!

Ok, so now I can say that I voted for Obama and am so excited about his victory. I also have to say that I admire McCain's concession speech. (In my opinion, the best part of his campaign.)

Today I had some great discussions with my students. And the timing of these discussions was perfect. Some teachers with whom I work have made some inappropriate comments about some of these kids...basically saying that there is little to no hope that these kids will amount to much. (Trust me, this infuriates me and I do all I can to contain myself... if you feel that way, GET OUT OF EDUCATION!) One of the kids, who is cognitively quite limited, but has some strengths said something pretty profound. Somehow in our discussion about the election the N word became a topic... she raised her hand and said... "i hate that word... I hate even reading that word... it makes me feel.. like ... well... like I am insulting myself even...not just black people...it's just such a mean word that I can't stand it...why do people want to be mean to themselves and that word is mean to everbody..." ahhh... good kid... The discussions with the kids today were interesting... kids get things that adults don't often give them credit for. Another girl asked, "Why do white people hate black people at all, I mean where did that even come from, it's so stupid." Smart kids...

I was emotional about the election today, more than I thought I would be. After hearing the results I thought immediately of one of my former students... who last year was called the n word at our school... I brought him and the two boys who called him that together and had an amazing discussion. That boy, in that discussion, talked about what it meant to him to see Obama even running for president... coming from Africa, this student was in awe that someone who looked like him could maybe become president... he was so emotional talking about it and... also shared his fear about a possible assassination because of race, but... his insight about racism, even at his young age, was amazing to me. So I wondered this morning, when I heard the news, how this young man feels today.

Anyway... I made it to the gym this morning and neither of my potential eye candy guys were there... don't they know they are supposed to be there, purely for my oggling? Geesh! But I had a good workout and if I go again tomorrow morning, I will have met my goal for this week... I will. Yahoooooo...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place