7/16/2009

Mixing it up...















Yesterday was another beautiful day! Temps were in the 70s and it was gorgeous! Next week Sara and Phil are coming camping with me. I am very excited about the trip. One negative about the trip is that Sara will be out of town when there is a road race on Peaks Island. (A small island off the coast of Portland Maine.) She was kind of bummed about it...so I suggested that we go to Peaks beforehand, so she would get a chance to run it. Yesterday was that day. (Phil had to work and we missed him.) So Sara, my bike, and I took the 9:15 ferry out to the island.












The ride out was beautiful, very warm and clear. We got out to the island and got started. We were not exactly sure of our route, but decided we would figure it out along the way. Sara was running and I rode my bike. We took a couple of wrong turns, but as it turned out it was good, it enabled Sara to get in the mileage she wanted. I planned to stay with Sara as she ran, but at times one of us was ahead of the other. I stopped to take some pics along the way.














Not long after our start we were faced with a pretty steep hill... I was intimidated, I admit it. I also admit that I contemplated just walking up it... but Sara started running up it and I figured, if she could run it, I could bike it... and I did... I was tired at the top, but... proud of myself too. It was a great place to exercise, and keeps me feeling motivated. Not only am I exercising, but I am exploring. I love that! I have been to this island before, once for a reggae fest and once to walk around it.


















I had recalled that there was one part of the shore where people build these rock sculpture thingys... they are fascinating to me. Some of them are simplistic while others have a lot of detail. I can't wait to bring my oldest nephew there and try to build our own sculpture. Towards the back of the island, more than halfway into our journey, we found another gradual hill with corners... it was a challenge at that point, but good for both of us. After we got back to our starting point we decided to keep going, to get enough mileage.















We ended up at one point of the island that in addition to a beautiful view, there was a honey stand. My favorite part about the honey stand, and the reason I bought some honey, was that nobody was working at the stand. There was simply a bucket...with money in it, along with a rock to keep the money from blowing out. I told Sara that the bucket, with money, made my heart smile... that people can still count on the honor system... and to the right thing.














After the honey stand, we returned again, to the starting point, each paying 15 cents for a lemonade at a lemonade stand run by two very young entrepreneurs. Then we wandered through a shop there. (The same honey was for sale at the shop, but was more expensive... so I got a great deal! And for the record, the honey is delicious!)















This workout was good for our bodies AND our minds. After having a lot of exercise on Wednesday, I was looking for a simple workout yesterday and thought Peaks Island would be it, but it was hillier and longer than I anticipated. We ended up going over 7 miles. But I felt good afterwards. When we returned from the island we met up with Phil for lunch at one of our favorite spots. It's so nice to spend time with my friends, and I know it's redundant, but having my friends being active too...makes a HUGE difference... I love it! Today the three of us met again, for more exercise... we all biked. I did just over 12 miles! I feel really good about what I am doing... but I do realize that my exercise is taking priority over other things... which is good and bad... mostly good... for example, I got called to work tonight, but I said I couldn't work because I had an appointment... my appointment is Zumba... getting healthy right now is more important to me than making some money... I guess that's good... But my social calendar is also built around my activities... but... so far so good. I like changing it up a little... but still having some things in my routine I can count on... Gotta go... almost time for Zumba!

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place