7/26/2009

Another Trip North...



I am back from another camping trip to see my Dad. I got up there Wednesday and an just settling back in at home. It was a good visit... the weather was actually much better than other visits this summer. I got there later on Wednesday than I expected...due to the world's longest oil change. Dad was worried and called me as I was en route to make sure I Was okay... I was sorry to worry him, but it is always nice for someone to care about you like that... That evening I hung out with Ralph... a bull moose who came out to the river as I was paddling by and spent a long time grazing there. Ralph and I had some nice bonding time. He kept looking at me and I talked with him, thanking him for coming to say hello, stroking his ego by complimenting his beauty, and assured him I was friend not foe... I also asked him to have a second dinner date with me, the following night, so that Sara and Phil could meet him. (Sara and Phil came up on Thursday and left Saturday... it was great to have them up there.)

Thursday morning I got up and it was a beautiful day. I decided to go for a walk, unsure if Sara and Phil would have already exercised when they arrived... and didn't want to wait for them, in case they had already worked out.
I walked about two miles, following part of the Appalachian Trail. It was beautiful. Then I went kayaking and, through telepathy, reminded Ralph that we had a standing dinner date... Sara and Phil got to the campground in the afternoon and got settled in pretty quickly.
They had not exercised yet and were anxious to do so. So Sara ran while Phil and I walked... we followed the same trail I had earlier in the day, but went further. Sara ran over 5 miles and Phil and I walked about 4... it was nice. I twisted my right ankle and it hurt my right knee than my ankle... and I was worried about how it would feel the next day. Fortunately it was fine.

Sara, Phil, Dad, and I had black bean burgers for dinner and as we were finishing up, I spotted Ralph. He was closer to the campground than he usually comes and I think he was telling me I was more than fashionably late... so Sara, Phil, and I got in the kayaks and headed up the river... Just to let me know that I was late, Ralph disappeared into the woods just as we approached... but.. then he forgave me and came out. He even posed for some pictures. Thanks Ralph!
After hanging with Ralph, we conitnued up the river. We spotted a baby bald eagle... and it was not a small baby! We watched it for a while and it flew away. Phil then did some fishing and Sara and I paddled further up the river. It was a good day.

Friday was rainy... so Dad took us all for an adventure. We drove, in his new truck, into the state park and did a short hike. We walked about a mile into a small pond. And while we didn't see any critters besides ducks... it was an adventure. We returned to the campground and played games inside the camper. Dad was tough, he sat outside under the awning. He seemed sad to me that day. I think the days that have better weather are easier for him... he can stay busier. The rain stopped later in the day and we had dinner outside. (Supper as it is called up north!)

Saturday Sara and Phil hit the road pretty early and not long after I headed out for a walk... On my way out of the campground I stopped and spoke to a woman who stays there. She and Dad have built a bit of a friendship... she lost her husband about two years ago, and she recently had cataract surgery, which Dad will have soon. I had not met her but has heard Dad mention her so I introduced myself. She hugged me and asked me how I was doing... with that caring, maternal intonation, and without warning, my eyes began leaking... damn it... but I quickly brought myself out of it and headed down the trail... and went about 4 miles.
I was going ot go further but after my delayed start due to talking I wanted to get back in a decent amount of time so Dad wouldn't worry. It was a beautiful walk.


The day had been a bit breezy early on, but as the day progressed the wind died down and the sky cleared. It was amazing. It felt good...familiar...

The campfire that night was great, the stars were brilliant... wish that my camera could capture them... we watched the space station fly by us... and there was a lot of laughter around the campfire... it was nice to hear my dad laugh, really laugh.... I am glad he is up there...



This morning I got up, went for a brief kayak ride and then visited with people at the campground. Dad and I had lunch together and then I hit the road. It was a great long weekend. I find that I enjoy being there with dad, and doing things that make me feel like I am taking care of him... like cooking him breakfast,etc. I think he enjoys it too.... life has changed... and it was very hard to leave him today... but... we also enjoyed the weekend... maybe we are healing...



The format of this post is kind of funky... sorry about that... not sure why that happened. Oh well...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place