8/19/2012

What just happened?

It's Sunday evening... about 7:10... and I have to get to work on a presentation for a staff meeting tomorrow... I need to introduce myself to the leadership team (department chairs) tomorrow and present some information to them about data... what a topic to start with, right? Well.... I have a handout that I am going to give them... on how they can find the data... so instead of boring them with a lot of data, I am going to show them where to locate the data and let them do some exploring on their own... at a later time... I want to show them that I know about the data, but also want them to know that I am going to help them access the data... and that I will create tools for them to use, quick references, for the things I expect them to be able to use... I hope it goes well.  So... I need to get to that.. but... wanted to do a little writing...about the move...

The move itself was pretty good... I have a lot of bruises, so I think I did more moving before and after the movers did their part than I realized... the pieces I had done were a lot of work, but it worked out well.  Having the boxes labeled was fantastic.  (Even though the movers would come in with a box marked living room and ask which room it went in...)  They arrived at my place around 9:10 and by 1:00 everything was unloaded where it needed to be... and while I wanted to start unpacking immediately, I knew that I should return to my old place and pick up a few things I had left behind, empty the freezer and fridge... so that I did not have to go back... so that's what I did... including emptying the garage of a few items ( a couple of book cases, some end tables, a big tent, and some other things)   that needed to go to the dump because they had been in the basement and were ruined because of the water that leaks in there... by the time I realized that, it was too late... so I went to the recycling center... and $9 later, had thrown it all away!  Then... I went and did something that signifies my adulthood... I bought, as in purchased, a new washer and dryer!  Whoa!  Then I came back home (HOME... did you see that Home means my NEW place!!!!)  and even though I was exhausted I couldn't relax...I knew Saturday meant a house full of people... Sis , Jacey, Dad, and Betty were planning on coming to help me unpack and get settled... so  I had a goal... to get my bedroom set up, to get the guest room set up and get the table cleared off so we could all have a nice meal together.  Mission accomplished... I even got the set of dishes my grandmother had left me unpacked and put in cupboards... I am finding that there are things like that...like the coffee table form my other grandmother... that are reminders of people in my life who have been very important... here with me, and I love that...

I woke up Saturday pretty early... the appliances were going to be delivered promptly... between the hours of 8 a.m. and 1 p.m.... So I got up and puttered... made a "Daddy-do list" which included removing a towel rack, installing a curtain rod in the bathroom, removing random nails from the basement stairwell and beam that is down there (always gotta be aware of what I may hit my head on...the beam would suck, but with nails in it, even worse... other than the beam I have good clearance in the basement, better than the old place!), remove a shelf and more nails from the pantry so I could get some shelves in there, replace a screen in a window where an air conditioner had been... and... oh yeah... hanging a vase on the side of a cabinet I have in the bathroom... So... Sis was the first to arrive... and she appropriately ooed and ahhhed... and we got a bit of a chance to chat, then Jacey arrived... and then within 30 minutes Dad and Betty arrived.. and the appliance guys had called to say they were on their way... so within about an hour and a half or two hours, I went from me to everybody!  I was a bit worried, to be honest, when I thought about having everyone here so close to the move... I was worried I wouldn't know how to have people help me... since that is something I am not good at... while the appliance guys did their thing, the fam gathered in the living room and visited... then Sis and I loaded a bureau into my truck (one that I had saved in case she wanted it for her new place for the boys, but she didn't) and Jacey, Dad, and I unloaded a hutch that Dad had been storing for me that matches my table (both had been one of my late aunt's) and Dad put it together while Sis and I took the bureau to goodwill...

Then we all walked to one of my all time favorite restaurants...yes I said walked!  It's so close to my new place!!!  Dad bought us all lunch, such a sweet guy! Then we came back here and it was amazing... Betty and Jacey took over the job of unpacking my kitchen and organizing my laundry room so that I can use it for storage and a utility place... Dad started on his list and Sis managed to get a lot of my work clothes hung up and a few other clothes unpacked...She also decided if there were boxes she wanted to use for her move and the ones she didn't want, she broke them down so I could easily recycle them... I can't believe it, but there is only two boxes left on the main floor for me to unpack!!! (One of which is waiting for Dad to return to do another job for me... installing things underneath my cupboards so I can hang wine and margarita glasses from them)   I need to hang up my decorations, but I am amazed that so much got done in such a short amount of time.  Wow... I felt really grateful... As people were working I ran around and took things to the basement.  Then, last night, in MY kitchen, I cooked dinner for my family.  Dad had made his famous spaghetti sauce so I just had to warm it up, cook some pasta, heat the garlic bread, and make a salad... I set the table and we enjoyed a meal together.  I love that this is a place where I can gather people around my table... people do not have to eat in the living room if I have more than a couple people over...

So... I have a few pictures to post... of how things look so far...Just the first floor... second floor will take a while to progress...

Looking from the dining room into the living room... 

The landing going upstairs... (This picture is for Jill... I am trying to decorate like Jill would... she would not do the doily, but the glass bowl with stuff in it is Jill's style!) 

Looking from the couch into the dining room... (PAINTING!!! It may move, but I wanted it off the floor so that's where it is for now.)  

Table and hutch... I have all the leafs in the table.. I need to play with it a bit and also with the spacing with the hutch to see where I want it to end up... the sunflowers were from Sara, Phil and Maria!  

This is the hutch... with many things I will use to decorate with... but until I know where I want everything, this is where they will stay! 

Looking into the kitchen...

And the half bath... 

More of the half bath... and MY washer and dryer... I feel so grown up! 

I am a very lucky person... 
Thank you to my family for being here in person to support me... and for those Friends and family who have been so encouraging and supportive from afar, thank you.  

1 comment:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

LOVE it so far! Oh, and did I tell you the orange pillows would look great on the sage couch? Yes, yes I think I did! :)

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place