8/01/2012

A quick post...

Wow... so much is happening... so much GOOD stuff is happening!  I went back to my mountain last weekend, my final trip up for the summer, and had a great time... I returned and have been busy at work this week and have found time in the afternoons to see friends... Monday I kayaked with Pam, who was my assistant last year, Tuesday I walked with a friend I had not seen in 13 years!  (Someone I taught with in my first teaching gig!)  Today I kayaked with Sara, Phil, and Maria... and saw my friend Judy too!  Tomorrow I will visit Jill in NH and Sis and her boys arrive this weekend... BUSY, but fun!  Here are a few pictures of the last couple of weeks... Oh... and a picture posted on facebook from Suellen's wedding in May, of me...  I will write more soon!

I like this picture a lot... I usually am not a fan of pics of me, I prefer to be behind the camera, but... I think in this picture there are things that make me think of Mom... I see features in me that remind me of her... so I love it!!! 

OK... other pics with no captions.... ok... I lied... there will be captions... because I can't not comment...

I arrived on Thursday around 4 o'clock... And the mountain was BEAUTIFUL!

I visited for a bit and then had to get up the river... The water was still high enough to let me into tadpole Terrace, where I didn't find tadpoles... but found this guy... a BIG beaver... who was displeased with my presence.  He kept circling around me, far from my kayak, coming up and slapping his tail.  Sorry pal, didn't mean to bother you...if it's any consolation, your first tails slap scared the bejeepers out of me!  


Once again the reflections were very clear.  I was happy to get a self portrait with me and the mountain.  

This trip the photo opps included eagles and frogs... this adult eagle was beautiful.  

This younger eagle was hanging around the campground a lot, on the edge of the river.  
 FROG!


This was day 2.  I left 'The Trickle'... the place where I almost got stepped on by a moose and headed up river and out of the corner of my eye I caught something that didn't look quite right... and this eagle, the young one, was on a low branch and stayed put as I got close to him for pictures... 

Impressive... I was excited that he stood up, I thought he was going to fly away, but instead he was preparing to relieve himself... and let me tell you... I have a whole new picture in my mind of the definition of projectile!  Eww...

This part of the river has been one part I love because the trees overhang so much.  I had not ventured under the trees last trip because the current was stronger and I was unsure of where the rocks were.  This time, the river had slowed just enough... and notice: naked toes!!! (They were very self conscious!) 

The adult eagle... like dogs, they pant when they are hot because they do not have sweat glands... who knew? (Thanks Betty for researching it!) 


The loon made a few appearances...but not very close to me...




Tadpole Terrace...

This frog was HUGE!!! 

Geico?


This pine tree kept catching my eye... it was beautiful and the pics don't do it justice... so green! 

the only moose I saw this time... he was a lot more shy than the one from the last trip.  He saw me, went back in the woods and came out at another place to see if I was still there... I was... and he decided he was gonna head away from me.  

 Later Moose! 

The clouds were pretty thick, but the sun shined through at one point and the colors and reflections were amazing!  (painted toes... they were much happier!) 






I have been trying to get THE perfect fern picture... I want to put it in my new apartment... and I got it... I think!  Mom loved ferns and I want a picture in my new place, for her... I think this is it! 


Betty had her fourth treatment (4 of 6) on Monday last week... it takes a lot out of her, but by Friday afternoon she was sewing... yes sewing while camping... what is she sewing? a blazer for me for work!!!  I have such a hard time finding things where the sleeves are long enough and it doesn't look professional, so she said she would make me a few! How sweet is she?)  Betty is glad that the treatments are coming to an end... so are the rest of us.  She is a trooper... It is hard on her and hard on Dad... Memories and fears have been triggered... 

Dad in the kitchen... making a goober face as usual.  

Daisies... Mom's favorite... I wouldn't get a tattoo, but if I did... I think it would be a daisy, or two daisies... with my birthdate on it which I shared with Mom... 


A summer sunset that looks like winter!

TWO eagles in a tree?? Oh yeah!  

The fattest toad in the world... I swear!  

What happened here? Hmm... someone, who shall remain nameless... who is taller than me... was working the grill and forgot to turn it off as the grill brush was too close... He wasn't happy.... 





A dead tree? Well yes... but also memories... Mom and I watched young owls learning to fly in that tree... think of it every time I paddle by...

Got back from my camping trip and after working Monday morning kayaked with Pam.. she is amazing... her husband is battling brain cancer... and it is not a good prognosis... but look at her smile...she's so positive... She and her husband have a lot of faith... I called her the other day and her husband answered, the first time I have spoken with him... he was so sweet... thanking me for being in their lives, for the money I raised for them this spring and said I am family... that they are so thankful that God brought me into their lives... thankful for me? When their worlds are imploding? Humbling.  

Baby Turtle! 

And today's adventure... starring Miss Maria!  She can finally say AWESOME!  (Which is my nickname in case you didn't know!) 


So happy to see Sara doing well!  Love these guys... my non related  "brother & sister & niece!!!" 




I feel very very lucky... life is good... very good... and not just for me... 
Sis just signed a lease on a new apartment too AND was accepted into a masters program!!!  
I told her last night that I get nervous... that the more good things that happen, the more likely it is that the bad things are looming.. but she said, no way, we have had our fill of bad... it's time for good... 

It is time for good...I have no room in my life for bad... 
I am very lucky.  


A small message to someone who recently left a comment, expressing happiness for me in my new endeavors....I am surprised you have been reading.  There isn' t much to say, but I appreciate your sentiment and wish you joy in  your life.  Be happy.  


No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place