8/29/2012

Sometimes you don't know what you don't know...

So today was day one of the school year... the first of two teacher days in the district....I not only met the staff in my building but saw the full district staff.  Amazing.  I will not remember the names of everyone, for a long time, but it is great to begin putting faces to names.  The question everyone keeps asking me is: Are you nervous? ... I'm not nervous... in fact I think I am the least nervous as I have ever been to start a school year... now, that may change between now and Tuesday, the first student day... but for now I am too excited to be nervous... and because I have been working since July 1st I feel like it really isn't day one for me... I have been in my office long enough that it feels like MY office... and I feel like this is where I am supposed to be... I had dinner last night with two of the women I was closest with in my old job... one of whom got teary a couple of times and said she wasn't sure how she was going to make it through the year without me... aww.... and while the 'gonna miss you' element is reciprocated... I truly cannot imagine going back to my other job... I listened last night to all they are doing... and I would just not be in a good place with it... they asked about what I am doing and I got to share that I have been meeting kids... the last several days has involved meeting quite a few kids... one girl who is going to really be a huge part of my year.. I just know it already... She's a kid who has burned many bridges... I emailed all of her teachers... and let them know that regardless of her reputation thus far, we are going to work hard to have this year be a success for her.  Failure is not an option.  But... she is going to be a tough nut to crack...

Word has been spreading... about the New Assistant Principal... who, according to all the talk is 7 feet tall!  Well six and a half feet tall, yes... One of the coaches/teachers today said her team was asking her all kinds of questions about me.  Tonight the other AP told me that it is nice to see kids approaching me, that I have a way about me that makes me approachable and that the person previously in my position did not have that.  I really am trying not to compare myself to her.. I didn't know her... and don't want other people to compare us either... same position yes, different people and what are I Am sure different approaches.


I was thinking today about something the assistant superintendent said on opening day... she said this is her second or third year in her position and she still doesn't know what she doesn't know... and I think I am probably in that position right now... I am sure there are things I don't know I don't know... but I am sure I will find out!  Tomorrow is another staff day and kids come next week.  I can't wait to have the halls alive with kids!

I have so much more to write, more that is swirling in my head, but I am tired.  Tonight, after being in meetings all day, I went back to the school to have a freshmen orientation, where I got to meet some freshmen and their parents... it was nice, but makes for a long day.

So... I am going to turn off the laptop, finish my laundry, pack for a weekend with Sis and the boys... and go to sleep.

good night...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place