3/04/2008

The storm before the storm...


I know that people usually feel the calm before the storm... but we are about to get hit by another Maine storm...more snow... mixed with a lot of ice... making for some nasty conditions. So... a storm before tomorrow's storm... mom's surgery.

My sister got to my house last night and we went to dinner with my friend Sue, who is sweet enough to take care of my cats while I am away. Following dinner Sis asked where we could find a whoopie pie... if you don't know what a whoopie pie is... or worse..have never had one... I'm sorry. I had to think... because lots of places sell them... but few places sell the good ones... and thankfully... a local bakery was open. We split some desserts... 3 to be exact... a whoopie pie (like the one pictured above), a cream horn, and a bismark... YUMMM.... who says food doesn't help with stress?

We slept in a little this morning and then got up, got ready and hit the road. We got to Bangor around 1... did some errands and checked into our hotel. After trying to steer one of those bell hop carts (no bellboys here, had to do it ourselves!) which is in need of a major alignment... we got settled into the room and I took a nap. We could have stayed with one of my aunts... and their offers are greatly appreciated... but my sister and I both felt like getting settled into the place we are going to be for a few days...felt like the right thing to do. After my nap I had a nosebleed... not fun. Not a bad one... but they make me nervous.

This is so crazy... so crazy... that something like this is happening. the c word... cancer... why does it happen? how does it happen? and why to my family, now.. after having dealt with so much with my grandmother this fall? People have asked questions... like what will her treatments be? has it spread? I DON'T KNOW... and I hate not knowing... the need to be in control part of my personality can't stand this...

Mom has to be at the hospital at 4:00 tomorrow... surgery will begin around 5:30... unless the surgeon's schedule pushes it back a little... I hope not. I brought things to try to keep myself busy...knitting... sudoku...my computer.... but none of that does much to make my heart worry less.

While I know how I am feeling... I can't imagine how my mom and dad are feeling tonight. Sleep is doubtful.

I will do my best to post news here...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place