3/23/2008

Good weekend...

I haven't blogged for a couple of days... not sure why other than maybe the same thoughts get repeated in my head. So far I have had a good weekend... it has felt more normal than my life has in a while. Friday night I went out to dinner with Sue who also motivated me to hit the gym with her on Saturday. It felt good to be back at the gym, I did just over 6 miles on the bike and then did some strength exercises for my knee. I felt really good after working out... my body felt good... it has felt really tense lately... so the gym was great. Following the gym we went to a newer grocery store in the area that is incredible. Most products there are organic and the store itself it beautiful. We looked around and bought lunch there. They have a place to sit and enjoy the food... Sue and I shared some pizza and vegetable sushi. It made me appreciate living where I live, being able to spend a morning like that... then I coached last night and had to fly solo because the other coach had a family commitment and another adult who accompanies one of the athletes due to special needs didn't have the correct time for things to get started, so I was alone... with it being Easter weekend some kids did not come to the meet so instead of over 100, I had about 85 kids to keep track of. It went well and their behavior was better than last week.

I have talked to mom and dad regularly. My mom is starting to be mad about this. Good. I am glad. Being angry is part of this process. Granted it may not be a productive emotion, but I would worry more about her if she just easily accepted this as what will be.

I had a conversation last night with someone about medical technology... inreference to one kid on my track team. He was at the meet last night and is a boy with Down Syndrome. He is such a sweet kid... makes everybody smile... brings out the best in people... and I thought about some of the debates our society has... if a woman learns that her unborn child has Down Syndrome she has the choice of aborting the pregnancy...because the child is seen as imperfect and possibly a burden. Before we had such tests people brought children into the world with hope. Why do we have a right to make that choice... of what characteristics someone will have and whether or not those characteristics are socially acceptable? So maybe technology has gone too far... yet on the flip side of that I am angry that there isn't some kind of technology, some knowledge that can make my mom's cancer disappear... get rid of the tumor... and find myself angry with doctors and lack of absolutes.... maybe that's the ying and yang of it all... balance...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place