5/27/2013

Memorial Day Paddling

I was pleased to see the sun shining this morning and decided I would go on a kayaking adventure.  I wanted to go to a place I had not been before... and chose a place near where Meg lives... disappointed she would not be able to join me, I still went...I got to the new spot and just in looking at the water I debated about whether or not I should put in... it was windy, really windy, and there were some white caps on the water... but I had driven for almost an hour and was determined to paddle.  Plus, there were four other kayakers putting in... and they knew where they were heading, they had apparently been there before.  I know I should ALWAYS wear a life vest, but the truth is, I rarely do.  However, today, I had it on and buckled... As soon as I launched I was getting pushed by the wind.. and I did what most brave souls would do... hugged the shore! I think the water was really high because as I hugged the shore and got out of the wind a bit, I found myself paddling between trees... trees that I assume are not normally covered in water as they were today... so I explored a little and it was kind of cool...






But as I returned towards the boat launch... the wind was still strong... and the water got rougher... 

And rougher...  

And I was happy to be heading back to shore!  For the first time in my kayaking career... I had several waves crash over my kayak and water came into my cockpit... No thanks!  If I had a spray skirt I wouldn't mind... but... not with an open cockpit! 



So.. I left that spot and decided to try another place I had been to before, which is a little more secluded and protected...  and it was nice... I was a bit nervous here too... though for different reasons... 
this spot is one of the most secluded I go to... and it was only my second time there, first time solo... so I needed to make sure that I knew and remembered where the put in/take out spots were for when I was done paddling.  But I am glad I went to the second location... definitely had some relaxation time!  

Really like this picture... not sure why... 


The put in spot was mucky so I had kept the flip flops on for a while... 









When the wind picked up... it made some ripples, but nothing like the bigger lake! 

This little guy was all alone... and calling out for his momma... so sad... and cute...

I know this isn't focused right, but... I do like the fuzzy factor! 


I wanted him to get close enough for me to scoop up.. he looked so sad here... not sure what I would  do to help, but... look at that face! 

It was a great weekend... I am hoping it is enough to re-energize me for the next few weeks... 

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place