5/05/2013

A great weekend!

When I learned I had to be at school Saturday morning, early, because kids were taking the SATs I wondered what kind of weekend it would be.  As it turns out, it was GREAT!  Phil also had to be at the SATs at his school... and not knowing I had to do them at mine had told me Sara and Maria wanted to kayak with me... but because I wasn't available until the afternoon, they decided Sara and I would paddle while Maria napped... 
It was so nice to get some time with Sara... I can't remember the last time she and I had some time to visit, to talk...It was nice to hear how she is doing and to share some things with her about how I am doing.  I miss getting time to do that with her.  

So... we hit the pond... I didn't take many pictures because I was too busy chatting with Sara.  But here are a few... 
Turtles of course... 

Looking out towards the bigger part of the pond from the place we put in...  


Had to do a toe shot!  We stayed close to the shore, it was a bit windy and we did not go out into the main part of the lake.  But it was pretty!  

Another turtle! 

I love seeing them in the water!  


When we got back, Maria was up from her lap, and wanted to kayak in the yard!  

Then had to help us carry Sara's kayak to the shed.  

After paddling I stayed for dinner... a cookout and then a campfire.  It got a little chilly so Maria put on her sweater that, in her mind, I made for her!  (I bought it for her for Christmas, so cute!) 

She is such a little ham!  

Apparently while we were gone, she didn't really nap, but did rest.. but in this picture she looks so sleepy!  

But when it came time for dinner, she was WIDE awake.  She LOVES corn on the cob and ate two whole ears herself...then tried to eat some of Sara's!  




She was a machine!  

It was so nice visiting with them.  

This morning I got up and planned to kayak with a friend of mine.. but before we hit the water I stopped at my bakery for a breakfast sandwich and this tree was outside, and the blue and pink were beautiful!  I had to take some pictures...  





We got on the water, one of my favorite local places, and I got to check on my tree... 
She is still up, and still alive...and budding!  

The dam is gone in the tunnel... but the water levels were low, and hard to get very far once we got through on the other side.  

There were some snails behind the tunnel... Oh and I forgot to tell you... as I was paddling through a bird flew at me... I am telling myself it was a bird, though I am afraid it may have been a bat... I hate bats... almost as bad... or maybe worse, than moths... eek!  

This hawk, perhaps a red tailed hawk? was circling and circling... I didn't think I would get any good pictures, but am pleased with these.  It was a beautiful bird, and looking up at it with the sun behind its feathers was really neat.  


The plant life along the river was... stunted... I wonder if the large quantity of snow this year damages some of them... things seem delayed in some places... but things are getting greener!  

This, I believe, is a cormorant... he let us get pretty close... 

But then 'flew' into the water... or fell may be a better word!  

I like the feathers on the sides of its head... made me think it had long eyelashes! 

There was evidence of some beaver presence... but no dam and no beavers... 

This was some of the power lines... but I liked the sunlight in the picture.  


One of last year's hives...

Turtles!  

There she is!  Look at those buds!!  she makes me smile!  

Closer shot of her buds! 


The sparklies on the water made it almost summer like!  

My friend, Terri, who was with me, calls me the turtle whisperer... because I can catch turtles... and this one... was.. well... about to be captured... 

Ta da!!!  After harassing him I put him back on the log, but that did not calm him down.. he dove off the tree, attempting to get in the water and he hit my paddle and bounced off, into the water.  We named him Greg Lougainis!  
I am glad I got to paddle with Terri.  She is such a great person.  I worked with her at my old job and do miss seeing her more often.  We kayak together and now that it is that season, I hope to see her more often. We had lots of laughs!  

Then I came home and wanted to do a few projects... and noticed the beautiful colors that are in my backyard... 

LOVE this picture! 




Oh... and I finished the boy project Dad started for me last weekend... he hung the hooks and I hung the kayaks... hoping this is a good place to store them between paddles.  Seems to work... so far so good ! 


I love kayaking... 
Someone asked me why... 
I think it all started with mom... and the time we spent together on the water, paddling and talking.  I love being on the water, the peacefulness and serenity... and I love taking pictures... though I need a new camera I think... in many of my pictures I get spots on them... like something is on my lens.. and despite multiple cleanings... they are still there... but for now... it's okay... 
Enjoy the week! 

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place