5/26/2013

42

After my walk today I decided that since it was not ideal kayaking weather, that I would head to the movies... I invited a few people and Jacey was the only one up for it... I had wanted to see 42, the Jackie Robinson movie.  I was pleasantly surprised that it was still in the theater.  We were going to meet to go to the 3:20 showing... but when I arrived at 3:00, they were sold out.  SOLD OUT!!??  I was bummed... the next showing was at 6:30.  So, Jacey and I decided to hang out and come back for the second showing.  We went shopping and then out for an appetizer and dessert while we waited.  The theater was pretty full, so I am glad I had bought the tickets before we left the theater to go shopping... two of the final people who came into the theater were a couple, older... and she was in better health than her companion.  She held onto him as she walked him to the most convenient, empty seats available, which happened to be in front of us.  They had bought some snacks to eat and throughout the show she had to remind him to be quiet, to not talk out... There was part of me that was in awe of them... the patience she had towards him... seeing the beauty of the support she was giving... and there was part of me that was quite sad... this man, obviously someone whose tall stature and frame had incredible strength one day, was so dependent upon this woman... who was so gentle with him... she was working hard to have a date with him, an evening out... and I wondered about how many movies they have seen together over the years... how many bags of theater popcorn they have shared... surely that list is longer than the list of the movies they have left to see together... And I thought about my single status... and perhaps I am not a glass half full girl after all... I thought... in that moment... how grateful I was to be single... to not have in my future, the burdensome task of taking care of me like that one day... but then... I watched the movie... 42... the story about an amazing athlete... and one of my favorite aspects was the relationship between Jackie and his wife, Rachael.  It was beautiful... while it was not the focus of the movie, the relationship, had it not been what it was, the hero we know as Jackie Robinson, may not have been... and  I am in awe of that... and do hope, one day, to have that.  Prior to the movie, Jacey and I had talked about relationships over appetizers... and I had talked with her about my Friday night... about the relationship I have had with my out of town friend for almost 14 years... we talked about being content with things as they are.. about relationships we have seen with our friends and family... and wondering... left me wondering anyway... if all relationships have an expiration date... the best relationship I have witnessed, was that of my parents... and while I wish that they could have had one of those marriages that ended with they were both 90 years old... it didn't... Jacey's parents... had years of happiness... until it didn't... friends I have known for years... have had so many struggles... marriages that are surviving vs. flourishing... but this is a tangent I had not planned on... I want to go back to the movie...

It was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.  We all know the story... the surface anyway... Jackie Robinson was the first  African-American professional baseball player.  And while the film captured, I am sure, only a fraction of his experience.. the hatred he faced... not only of the fans, the opponents, but also from his teammates... it was depicted well.  It is a movie I think I will own, when it comes out on dvd... a movie I would watch multiple times... the lessons are obviously many... acceptance, team, strength of character.. doing the right thing, even when the right thing is not popular...

It was a great part of the weekend... and now... now I am looking at my map... trying to choose a place to paddle tomorrow... because the sun is supposed to be shining... and the water is calling...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place