10/21/2012

Not much of substance today

I survived my first high school dance as an administrator.  It was not as bad as I had anticipated... I had been hearing about all the 'grinding' that happens at high school dances these days... truth is I was more concerned about the crowd... I don't always like to be in the midst of a crowd.  But... the dance, which was held in the gym.... was, at its most packed, about 1/3 full... it was fun to see some of our kids who often dress in ways that we recognize reflect a tight home budget... dressed up... girls in dresses, boys in ties... some girls in suits and ties as well... granted, some of the dresses were ones that would fit in more at a NYC bar/dance club then a high school dance... I got to see these kids who act so tough day to day, just being kids... the difference in the behavior between the freshmen and the seniors is huge... freshman boys literally push and shove each other or chase each other through the crowd while the senior boys go from being too cool for school to jumping around to the music... the funniest moment of the night was when they played Thriller (Yes, there were some 'old' songs that I recognized!)  and this one boy, did his best Michael Jackson impression... grabbing himself at the end and all... I had to turn around before I burst out laughing.  The kids were really well behaved... it didn't hurt that we had several chaperones, teachers who volunteered their time... and three police officers... one who is our school resource officer and the other two from the local p.d.

Earlier in the day I had gone to the last home football game of the season... and our team won! It was their first win on home turf this year and only their second win of the season... It was a good way to end things... I am looking forward to the basketball season.

This week I have been battling a cold... so after being out late last night because of the dance I slept in this morning.  When I did decide to get ready and run some errands I met another of my neighbors... she is sweet, probably my dad's age, maybe a bit older... loves kayaking and broadway shows!  (I was wearing my Wicked t-shirt and she asked if I had seen the show as she wants to see it.)  She has lived here for just over 10 years and has loved it.  She stores her kayak at a friend's house... which is what I will do with mine this winter... She seems like a pretty nice lady.  Perhaps I will invite her to a show or something this winter and maybe a kayak paddle next summer.  We'll see.

My plan today was to go to the ocean, to take my camera and take some pictures... the sun was shining, a first in a while it seems... and as I was on my way to the ocean, stopped to buy a tarp to cover one of my kayaks with when I do put them away for the winter... and by the time I had come back out of the store the wind had picked up and my eyes got that sunken in feeling that you get when you have a cold and the sinus pressure began again and I decided I wanted to get my groceries (which I had planned to do after the ocean) and get home... so that's what I did... I bought a few things this week to take to work, hoping that I will find time to eat during the day which is still proving difficult... so while it is not environmentally friendly, I bought some single serving sized items like yogurt (I had tried to buy the big container and add granola to it in a bowl... but I think it will be easier to just grab one and eat it as I am walking through the halls... hoping that without that prep time I will be able to eat... also am taking some fruit which I usually eat at home... and some trail mix... which is not the best snack, but hoping it will keep my metabolism going... and also hoping eating during the day will somehow help my immune system... if I am less run down... so we'll see how that goes...

So... this is not much of a blog entry, but felt like writing... so.. there you have it... Hope you are enjoying the fall...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place