6/29/2012

the Beautiful Jacey!

The bond between a mother and daughter is something I cherish... something I cherish more than most things in life... I was so lucky to have the relationship with Mom that I had...one that out-shined any Hallmark movie or card... and today I definitely thought of her... how proud she would be... how her face would light up with her crooked smile... how she would tell me all my hard work has paid off... 
I could not be where I am without Mom and Dad... they have offered so much love and support in my life... Not just as I worked through my masters degree program... but through everything...  I am grateful.  

but this post is not about me... it's about Jacey... and Betty... 
Betty and Jacey have been through a lot together.  They have an amazing bond, one that reminds me of mine and Mom's relationship... a parent/child relationship evolving in to a friendship.  It's wonderful.  

A few weeks ago Jacey got in touch with me and asked me for a favor... she wanted me to go with her as she got her head shaved to honor her Mom and her Mom's battle with breast cancer.  The idea of that made me get all teary.... how amazing that is... Jacey is a soon to be 23 year old woman... most women her age are so concerned about appearances... and would never consider doing something like this... but Jacey... Jacey's not like most other 23 year old women.  Her life experience has made her really appreciate family (I am honored she considers me family) and is really good at expressing that love.  

So today was the day she went to get her hair cut, chopped, shaved... and she looks BEAUTIFUL! 


She IS beautiful.  
Not just because her head has a nice shape to it (as the hair dresser noted) but because she made a choice to show her support for her mom in such a big way.  Her shaved head will bring awareness to people about breast cancer.  Some people may assume it is her who is undergoing chemo, not her mom, but Jacey will set them straight and encourage people to do all they can to prevent and detect early... 
The stylist was very moved by this... asked Jacey several times if she was sure... and Jacey never waivered. Before the shaving began, Jacey asked her to make a small braid to save for Betty, to put with Jacey's hair from her first hair cut.  So sweet.  And in the end... the stylist would not take money for it, wanting to support Jacey as she supports her Mom.  
Afterwards we had ice cream!  Sat on the tailgate of my truck to enjoy it as we texted Betty to let her know what Jacey had done.  I think Betty was surprised...taken aback... and moved.  I am sure seeing Jacey hairless will evoke many emotions.  (Dad and Betty are coming down Saturday to help Jacey move into her new place.)  Jacey didn't want to surprise Betty, which I think was nice... 

I am honored to be your 'step-sister', Jacey-girl! 

  

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place