5/22/2012

Turtle Mis-identification

Well... I learned something today... So in my last post I had put up a picture of this turtle... and I said it was a small snapping turtle... but I was wrong! 

One of my students is doing a research project on turtles and had heard that I have a lot of pictures of turtles and asked me to email some to her, which I did.  Then we were looking at a book she had about Maine critters and got to the turtle section... and I did not realize there were so many kinds of turtles in Maine... I thought there were snapping turtles and painted turtles... I was wrong... 

This turtle, I have learned... is a musk turtle also known as a stinkpot turtle.  Apparently when disturbed this guy can secrete a fluid that stinks a lot... and I am very thankful that he did not let loose on me!  

When I saw this guy the other day I looked at its tail... and noticed it was very different from the huge snapping turtle I had seen last time I was there... but thought immaturity was the reason.  But it is a sure sign that this is not a snapping turtle... That being said... these turtles are aggressive, apparently... it did not seem that way to me, but did stand its ground by not jumping into the water no matter how close I got... and apparently their necks are very long so even picking it up from behind does not protect you from getting a turtle bite.  (Good to know!)  I also thought the yellow on its face was unique... and now  I know!  

I also learned today, which I am very excited about, that there are sea turtles off the Maine coast! I LOVE sea turtles.. they are my favorite!  (But am not thinking I will see them while kayaking!)  

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place