5/19/2012

And... MORE kayaking

I paddled in two spots today... what a BEAUTIFUL day!  I lathered up with sunscreen early this morning and again between trips but still managed to get quite a tan today.  (Yes, that's tan, not burn!)  

The first spot is a bog that is in a pretty remote place.  It's a place my friends and I have wanted to go for a while, but haven't been able to make it happen.  I had heard that if you want to kayak here you should go in the spring because as summer progresses the water levels get really low and accessibility is problematic.  I am so glad we went!  







 Yes that's a MOOSE! I was sooooooooooooooo excited to see him.  We came around a corner and I spotted him way off in the distance.  And told my friends.  They didn't believe me at first, just seeing a dark spot, but then the moose moved and they were all so excited.  None of them have seen a moose while in a kayak before.  Unfortunately this guy was a  bit shy.  To be honest I think that he got nervous because there were five of us and we were spread out all watching him.  Moose have bad eyesight and probably didn't know what was coming at him and thought it was bigger then him.  I was soo excited too.  I have never seen a moose down here when I have been kayaking.  I see them up north... and this means... I will return here, soon... and arrive even earlier than we did today.  We had planned on being on the water by 7:45, but we had a delay at a dunkin donuts by one of our group members and then had a hard time finding the exact road to go down to find this location.  But it was worth it.  very cool place! 










So, we all packed up and headed towards home... I decided to go home a different way because I wanted to return to the place where I had seen the big snapping turtle last weekend.  So on the drive I had my PB & J sandwich.  


On my drive I went by this little park and noticed two Canada geese and noticed their babies were under a picnic table... had to stop and take a picture or two.

Look how fuzzy!  

Then... I got to the stream where I wanted to hunt for that giant snapping turtle.  I was secretly hoping to also see loons because this is the spot where I had seen the nesting loon last year.  And YAHOO, they greeted me!  My first loons of 2012!

Not only did they greet me... they swam next to me, underneath me... as they were fishing.  I got to watch them as the sped underwater chasing fish, darting about.  I could see them really really well and it was so fun to watch them under water.  I got a video that didn't come out great, but I will see if I can manage to share it here later on...

 Gosh they are so beautiful... 
After watching them for quite a while I kept paddling... it was such a pretty day.  


I did not find the giant snapper, but I found this guy, with a hole in his shell!  He was about 8 inches long... and not afraid of me at all!  


And of course there were painted turtles.  Check out this guy's shell.  

This guy climbed back up onto the log after jumping in... he had to work hard to get back onto the log.  

Back to the little snapper, who was still on the same log when I paddled back by... 

The sky was soooooooooo blue! 




And I saw another family of Canada Geese.  Cute! 

Wow... what a day... Gorgeous!  I am so lucky to live where I live and have the opportunity to kayak and see such beauty.  

The only part of the day I would have changed... was my need to go to the bathroom when there was no bathroom nearby... I had to pee in the woods!  I HATE that!  (But... happens from time to time when you spend time outside.) 
I am wiped out ! I think I will sleep well tonight.  Guess the sun does that to me!  

Oh.. here are a couple videos:
This first one is one of the loons that swam around under water and under my kayak.  So cool, wish it was more clear though!

And.. this is a small snapping turtle.  I know his action isn't too impressive, but listen to the frogs!  The frogs were SOOOO loud today!

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place