5/13/2012

Mother's day... equals kayaking!

How else would I spend a sunny Mother's Day?  

I went to one of my favorite places... a place that connects two lakes and while it is a short stream/river, there are lots of places to explore and always wildlife to see.  I started out watching this bird... it was so cute... running along the logs chasing bugs... so fast... 



Then I headed into the culvert.... (picture for Jill... y toes of course!)  

I am not sure what kind of flower this is, but it was pretty.  It could be a weed for all I know, but added a nice splash of color.  

It was a beautiful day! 

These 'helicopters' were so colorful.  Last year I went to the same place on Mother's Day, to kayak, and I cannot believe how much further along we are this year, as far as the foliage being 'out' so much already.  

And... there were turtles galore!  And yes, I have to keep taking their picture!  

This bird almost got eaten!  It was on a really low branch and a snapping turtle jumped out of the water and tried to eat it!  Not kidding!  I half expected a gator to jump out and try to get me!  

Another bird... no idea what kind... but pretty and had a beautiful song! 

Ahhh... ferns... waking up... 

I love this picture... the colors and the light were perfect!  

This guy was hanging out on a log and could have cared less that I was there.  Could have easily caught this one, but didn't try.  In order to steady myself in the kayak I was holding on to a branch that was about a foot in front of his face.. and he just kept looking at me and blinking! 

Seriously, he did not jump off the log... Sooo fun to hang out with him... love the markings.  





OK.. I made a mistake today... that I am kicking myself for.  As I was transferring things from my truck to the kayak I noticed I didn't have extra batteries in my kayak camera bag... and thought about putting in a couple extra from my camera case (not waterproof) but thought I would be fine... wrong.  I was clicking away happily and my battery was low... so I tried to reserve it... and was lucky to get a couple of pictures of this guy before my camera died... a HUGE snapping turtle... its shell, from front to back was probably close to two feet long.  Big guy.  It's head, which I noticed first, looked like the end of a log sticking out of the water, easily bigger than my fist.  


The cool part was he swam for a while and I followed and he would go under and resurface... then he went under and stayed under... for a long time.  I could see him so clearly under the water and my camera was dead!  His tail looked so prehistoric... He walked along the bottom for a while, then stayed in one spot, watching me floating above him.  I hoped he would resurface so I could get a pic with my phone, but he stayed down... after 15 minutes I figured the stalemate was over, he won... and I left.  I need to research how long snappers can hold their breath.  He also, I think, explains some loud noises and splashing I heard today... once I was focusing on the shore, ferns, and heard a loud sound and turned and there was a huge circle in the water, from something either jumping out of the water or something big being thrown into the water... of course I thought that perhaps a sasquatch had thrown a rock at me from the woods... (That's what the sasquatch hunting shows claim 'squatches do...)  But I think it was this guy.... or one of his relatives!  I would NOT want that guy to bite my toe!  

After kayaking I stopped in to see Sara, Phil, and Maria... They were hosting a mother's day bash and had invited me over to join them.  I told them I wasn't sure if I would be up for it, but am glad I did.  It was nice to visit with them for a bit.  

I also want to share some other pictures, that were on my phone and I had not yet posted... 
This first one just makes me laugh... it's Meg... the night we went to our local professional basketball team... our mascot... is a lobster... kind of lame truth be told... but.. Meg asked me to take a picture of her playing with his ball... yes.... she went there! 

Then... just down the street was our mascot for our local baseball team, the Sea Dogs... again, not my favorite mascot idea... and this is Meg kissing it... she is a crazy girl! 

Just a sign I saw in Portland that I like... the RIGHT Portland... for the record! 

The rest of these pictures were taken when I was on a walk with one of my coworkers.  I did not have my camera... MUST go back with it next time... Maine is such a beautiful place.  





Oops.. forgot these two were here too... 
This is a picture I took in Manchester, NH... I was happy it was located on a river, but... I will NOT be kayaking there, if I get the job!  Too rough! 

Me... in my interview outfit Friday... 



No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place