5/16/2012

One step closer...


Well... One step closer to getting a new job... at least that's how I am going to look at it... 

I did not get the job in NH... which surprises me... my instincts told me it was my job, that I had it in the bag, all wrapped up... and fully expected to be driving to NH tomorrow to meet with the superintendent... but... that's not what I will be doing.  

The principal from the school called today... and said it was a hard phone call for him to make, wishing that they could hire both people, but... that they had chosen the other candidate because she had experience.  He said that was the only thing that separated us.  Which... makes me think.... if we are similar, and that was the only thing that some experience gave her an advantage... and I have NO experience just imagine how I will be WITH experience!  Given the fact that the guy who is the other assistant principal will be changing his role in a year from now, the principal was nervous to hire someone without experience... which is okay.  I tried to be ... professional... and thanked him for the call and for the experience.  I said that I know, based on what I had seen there, that he has a good handle on his school... that there are good things are happening there and that I believed if he felt the other candidate was a better fit for them, I knew it was a decision he was making that was in the best interest of the kids... and that's okay with me.  I'm sad about it, but am okay with it.  

Somewhere along the way each of these administrators had no experience as an administrator... and... someone took a chance on them... and someone will take a chance on me.  And as my wise mentor told me today... it only takes one yes, to change my experience from none to some... so... just gotta keep going...  I need to mention, at the next interview, that I understand I have no experience and that it would mean having people take a risk... assure them I am a safe bet, remind them they were once inexperienced, and tell them that starting out, without experience means that I can really build a career somewhere, immerse myself in the job... and bring the passion and excitement that comes with a new gig... 

Disappointed... absolutely.  Even cried a little, talking to Dad does that to me... But, there are lessons here... 
I am ready and willing to relocate if need be.  I could not have said that a few years ago... when Mom was sick and after she died there was no way I could wrap my head around the idea of moving even further from Dad than I am now... Now.... I am ready... to go where I need to go... (that being said I don't see myself moving to Alaska any time soon!)  I know I am ready to purge things at my house, get rid of things I don't need... clean out the clutter... and... this experience at this school, gave me hope, that there are schools out there with which my philosophy aligns... schools where I could not only have a job, but build a career... and having this experience will do nothing but help me in the next round... whenever that happens... 

But... it does suck.  I was totally expecting the other message... had thought about what it would be like, moving closer to Boston... having the means to travel.... but.... it will happen...eventually... 

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place