5/07/2011

Tomorrow...

May 8th is mother's day this year... it is also my birthday... and would have been my mom's birthday as well. As a kid I remember not appreciating that our birthdays were the same day. As an adult I valued it more... We became competitive about being the first one to say happy birthday to the other one. Even calling in the wee hours of the morning... and we learned to answer the phone on May 8th by saying Happy birthday as fast as we could... to beat the other one to it.

As a kid, Mom made me birthday cakes that were kind of fancy... but then one year she said to me... You know.. it's my birthday too, and I don't feel like cooking. Let's buy a cake... and so, our bday cake tradition became Pepperidge farm cakes... like this one: they became tradition too...

Every year we celebrated together... even as an adult, we would meet up on a day that was close to out bday... usually before... and would give each other a hug and would say.. that's my last... hug from you at whatever age we were...

I miss her... tremendously. More than words can express... she was one of my best friends... and I miss that friendship... I miss her hugs...

Good Night Mom... I am sending you a hug... my last 35 year old hug! I love you.

1 comment:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

Love me some Pepperidge Farm cakes...oh, and <3 you too! ;) Happy Birthday Lady!

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place