5/15/2011

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite movies of all time... and as I wrap up my graduation weekend this scene came to mind... where Dorothy and crew had killed the witch and they returned to the Wizard of Oz for their reward and the Wizard was blowing htem off... until Toto pulled the curtain back, exposing the professor... And the Wizard says, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"




So why would this scene come to mind? Well... I was thinking about all the people who were here to support me yesterday.... and as I shared yesterday, that means so much to me. But there is a group of people who have been "Behind the curtain" in my life over the last five years... and despite the directive from the Wizard... I want to pay attention to those people...

I know I will inevitably forget some people... and for that I apologize... but... there are a few people I want to specifically mention... in no particular order... except knowing her ego, I need to mention Jill first. Jill is a friend of mine, from high school. We got pretty close our senior year and she is one of the very few people I have stayed connected with since graduating... Jill currently lives in California with her family... She has been a strong source of support for me. Granted, we don't talk on the phone often... our contact seems to come more from online exchanges, but... she has offered her love and support to me... As my mom's illness got worse and we lost Mom... Jill was there... Thank you Jill!

Another important behind the scenes person is "Rico"... Rico is someone who has been my friend since... gosh... since 1997 or 1998. While we have only ever spent time face to face a few times, our friendship is one I cherish. Rico lost his mother to cancer not many years before I lost Mom... As my mom became more ill, Rico was there for me. He offered perspective nobody else in my life could offer... he was still heavily mourning his own loss, yet found time and ways to be there for me... including flying in from Denver to spend a weekend with me, just to let me lean on someone... I knew that I could reach out to him, at any hour, to scream, cry, hyperventilate, or just say nothing at all... and he would understand... Rico, I value our friendship and have greatly appreciated it over the years... Rico... Thank you...

Pele... another California person... not quite sure how to define my connection with Pele... He was here on New Years Eve... as we welcomed 2009... we had gone to Sara and Phil's house to celebrate.. and just before midnight I left the party, finding some excuse to get away from everyone... and fell apart, knowing that the new year brought with it, a date on which I would say good bye to my mother. While he didn't know I had fallen apart right away.. he was here... and he has remained there for me, even from 3000 miles away... Thank you Pele!

Aunt Donna... If there is anyone who is my personal cheerleader, it is her... She is a person who has known me my whole life... as I have grown up I have always admired her... and she and I have much in common. Over these last five years, in addition to our visits, she has sent emails that have been encouraging and filled with hugs... She has also kept my grandmother updated on how I have been doing... Thanks Donna!

My grandmother... who is now 94 years old, still living by herself... She has set an example for everyone in my family... working hard... dedication... all qualities she has passed down through the generations... Thanks Gramie!

Aunt Sharon... and Uncle Allen... have endured their own battles with cancer... sat with us in the waiting room after Mom's first failed surgery... She has also sent many emails and always has told me to keep going... Thanks Aunt Sharon!

Cousin Heidi and my other relatives on my Dad's side... have always ALWAYS been supportive and encouraging... Thanks!

Suellen... I think I did mention her yesterday, but I need to mention her here too.. Suellen was someone who has seen me at many moments in this journey.. she was the person who went to the gym with me when I was still using my crutches... she was next to me on the elliptical machine when my quad muscle was still too weak to make the machine work... she was behind me as we rode our bikes to get ice cream as my first bike ride after surgery... she watched me try to remember how to jump, how to make my body, my knee, jump... she saw me tear up as I was talking about something totally unrelated to the drama in my life but could think about nothing else... I can't even say all the things she has been there for me through... Thank you Sue!

My friend Meg... Meg has been a friend of mine since 1997. We met when we taught at the same school. At first I thought she was a snob... but quickly realized that when she did not know someone she was quiet.. but once you get to know her she is anything but... Meg... during my surgery... drove an hour 2 or three times a week to help me with laundry, to make sure I had meals... to play canasta... and when Mom was sick... and when she died.. meg was there... not with words of wisdom mecessarily, but just there... Not long after Mom died, her mom died... and that bond is something we will always have... Thanks Meg!


And... there is He who shall remain nameless.... who has been in, or made appearances in my life for... going on 12 years... when I needed him... he was there... not always in the capacity I wanted... but who offers me comfort I have yet to find elsewhere...

There are many friends (beyond those mentioned yesterday) and coworkers who have also offered support and encouragement along the way... sharing magical margaritas... Debbie, Kris, Sheila, Jaime and Jamie, Rob, Jen, Pat,...and all the others who are escaping me... Thank you!

Of course I must also thank my other grandmother... who was only here to see the beginning of this journey for me... but she was so proud of me, always...

And Mom... I am not even going to get into it all... but... YOU and Dad made me who I am... and I owe you both so much... I love you, and miss you... and am grateful that I got to be your daughter.

I am GRATEFUL!

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place