9/28/2008

Fall Foliage is Starting



This is a photo I took this weekend. You can see the start of the fall foliage. We have had a lot of rain and rivers are quite high right now.

Today has been a good day. I promised myself that I would be lazy... and I have. I did not get out of bed until about 10:30 this morning. I was awake before that, but just enjoyed being under my blankets and all toasty warm with the kitties. I didn't go to bed last night until about 2 a.m. because I got home from working the tolls just after midnight and needed to unwind for a bit. So it was nice to be lazy this morning. I got up, had breakfast then decided I needed to hit the gym to try out my new sneakers. Let me just say that they are AWESOME! I felt so much better walking around the gym in them and I used the elliptical to test them out. I only went for about a half mile but I felt pretty good. I think that the new sneaks are going to totally rectify the foot pain issue I have been having. This makes me feel good... I don't want anything getting in my way of being able to work out. I was so limited for so long and don't want to go there again... However, I am going to take it easy this week, I will be active, but will be careful with the level of impact I do, as I get used to the new sneakers.

It's funny... because my feet don't fit into women's sneakers I often get frustrated with what options I have when I purchase shoes. Thankfully many sneakers now look pretty gender neutral. I usually go for a pretty simple shoe, but like to have them look good too. The pair of sneakers I bought to use at the gym are pretty freaking beautiful! They are shiny, silver, and red! They are a little more flashy than I usually go for, but for some reason these shoes make me feel like I am athletic....tall and athletic, and into fitness... oh yeah.. they also make me feel like I could kick a little ass if I wanted to! Who knew a shoe could do so much?

After hitting the gym I did some errands, including grocery shopping. I got a lot of stuff this week. I stocked up on some things. I bought some extra meat to put into the freezer. I was proud of myself too because as soon as I brought it all home I took it out of its packaging and put it into ziplock bags in my freezer. I only put enough in each bag for me to use one at a time. I also bought lots of veggies and plan on making a spinach and artichoke dip to eat with them. Granted the dip isn't super healthy, but if it gets me to eat more veggies I say go for it. Plus the way I make it the dip is more spinach and artichoke than cheese. So... it is mostly healthy. Right? I also bought the ingredients to make this bean salad that I love! It's such an easy recipe and sooo delicious. It's even better if you eat it with the lime tostitos, but it is healthier just by itself. Here's the recipe: (I think it is originally a weight watchers recipe.)
Ingredients: 1 can of black eyed peas, 1 can of black beans, 1 can of small red kidney beans, 1 can of chick peas, 1 small can of corn, chopped celery and chopped red onion. 1/3 c. oil, 1/3 c. apple cider vinegar, 1/3 c. of either splenda or sugar.

Directions: Drain and rinse all beans, chichpeas, and corn then put them in a bowl. Chop up about a 1/2c. of each red onions and celery. (small pieces) Add them to the bowl and mix them all together. On the stove bring the oil, apple cider vinegar and splenda/sugar to a boil. Let it simmer for a few minutes (2-3 minutes) then pour over bean mixture. Stir it all together. (Add a sprinkling of salt to taste if desired) Let chill in refrigerator for about an hour or more, then enjoy! (You can make it a day before too, and it stays pretty well in the fridge for 4-5 days.) Delicious... however, there is a warning that accompanies the bean salad... beware of gas!

Tonight I am going to watch the Amazing Race! I am so excited. And, tomorrow morning I am going to the gym before work again. I have been going later in the day, but I want to do it in the morning, I feel better that way. Also, that means that any activity in the afternoon/evening will be extra activity, not what I depend on for being active.

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place