5/24/2008

potatoes and gravy

I am visiting my parents this weekend... mom is in the hospital and tomorrow will mark a week since she has been there. She is in no hurry to come home, which upsets me... she is not feeling well enough at all to even consider it. It sucks. Dad is beside himself... considering whether or not to give up their camping spot for a little while so others could enjoy it... until they get up there. I don't want them to do that. Mom looks... out of it... dad looks... beaten... My sister and her kids are here too... and I have used them as an excuse to not spend much time at the hospital... I had a hard time today.. seeing mom like she is...dad says it is all the medication she is taking... for pain.. for nausuea... fluids... everything... but the scary thing is, that I know that this too... just like being in and out of the hospital.. will become 'normal'... it will be what we come to expect and that pisses me off. Mom does not want company. She doesn't have the energy to even try to engage in conversation... everything... EVERYthing takes all she's got... in the last week the only solid food she has eaten was her lunch today... a couple of teaspoons of mashed potato... and she fought so hard to get that down... I hope she doesn't want to give up.. but I am not sure I could blame her if she did. We tried to get dad to go womeplace today.. for a break, but he wouldn't. His heart is breaking... and we are watching it happen... this is not fair...

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Sorry to hear it's been so difficult. As inane as it sounds, try to hang in there and keep up some semblance of normalcy in your day to day life. It may feel robotic and surreal, but it's the little things --- like playing with your nieces and nephews, going out for drinks with friends, etc. -- that will help pull you through. Maybe if your dad won't go out, you guys can bring regular life to him, such as food from restaurants (that's not fast food or hospital food) or home, card games or board games, schoolwork or art from the kids, and stuff like that. Just some suggestions... I'll be thinking of you all.

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

Nothing about any of this is "normal"...everything about all of this "sucks".

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place