1/06/2013

Active

Yesterday a friend of mine had invited me to go to the movies with her and a couple of her friends.  They were going to go see Les  Miserables... and while I liked the film, I didn't want to see it again, yet... and told her I was grateful for the invitation, but would pass this time but that I hoped she and I could see each other soon... she offered for me to bring my snowshoes to her house today to trod around her yard and have lunch.  Being unsure about how I would feel after yesterday's adventure, wondering if I would be sore I asked if we could play the snowshoeing by ear but still get together.  She then suggested yoga.  You may remember I have found a place to do yoga that I didn't hate... yet there is still part of me that has this weird block about it... Yoga looks relaxing, but is a lot of work... but I agreed to go and we planned on having lunch afterwards.

I woke up this morning and there was a dusting of snow.  and it sounded windy.  I got myself ready and headed to the yoga studio where I ran into a parent of one of the kids in my school.  My friend arrived and we began catching up a bit... she has some tough things going on in her life.  The yoga class began and I am envious of the people for whom these movements and poses are easy.  Eventually perhaps, if I go more often, the moves would become less fragmented... At the beginning of the class, the instructor asks us each to think of an intention... something we could apply to the class, to something for the week ahead or the year... an intention... I like that... my intention was to make it through the yoga class without feeling like a circus elephant balancing on a bowling ball.  I doubt I will ever be an elegant yoga- doer.  I stretched and sweat and managed to not feel like a pachyderm... I modified some of the moves... like kneeling... in some of the movements you are supposed to sit on your feet while kneeling.  My left knee, my pvns knee, doesn't bend far enough for me to do that.  I modified as needed and the instructor at one point came over and asked if I wanted a suggestion for a modification and I did... she had me move to a position where I was on my back with my legs in the air bending one knee over the other in a way to get a similar stretch... it was nice.  Following yoga I do feel good, my body feels like I have lengthened and stretched it... so then we went to lunch at a nearby restaurant.  It was nice to spend time talking with my friend and hearing all she is enduring.  She asked me how I was doing and my hopes for 2013.  I told her that I was hoping for more happiness... and told her I was doing well.  I also hope that in 2013 I embrace things that take me a bit out of my comfort zone, like snowshoeing and more yoga... she told me about an author she enjoys reading... whose name escapes me at the moment... but one of this person's message is that the things in life from which we grow the most are the challenges/activities/adventures about which we have both excitement and a bit of fear... I like that... and think I need to use that in 2013.

Leaving the restaurant met with sunshine.  The sky had cleared and it was warm.  (Warmish, for winter anyway!)  and I decided to stop at the place that ha been my backup snowshoe location for yesterday... and explored a bit.  I think it will be a nice place to go and I hope to get there maybe next weekend, if weather cooperates.  I am going to be a bit picky about when I go.  I don't want to be cold.  Then once I got home I decided to go for a walk.  I wanted to go someplace where I could buy smartwool socks for my next snowshoeing adventure.. and when the running store closest to my house didn't have any I decided to walk to a store that was a bit further from my house.  And, I decided to wear my new boots to see how they worked and to break them in a bit.  I was pleased that they were very comfortable and supportive and I think they will be better for snowshoeing.  I'm not sure how far I walked, I would guess probably 2.5 miles or so, but as I got close to home I could feel my legs getting a bit tired... I think more from the yoga than from the walking... It felt good to be active today and if I don't sleep tonight, something is definitely wrong!

I hope the weekend was filled with adventure for those seeking adventure and relaxation for those who wanted to relax... I feel lucky I got a bit of both!
2013 is off to a great start!


No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place