1/10/2013

A Nice Note

Along with one of my colleagues, we have started a 'club' for seniors who are at risk of not graduating.  They stay after school one night a week with me and usually one other person... we provide food and drinks and a quiet place where they can get work done and get some help.  

Monday, one of the kids who comes every week, one who has a habit of often checking in with me, just because...came to my office.  He calls me lieutenant for some reason... he says it's because he wants to go into law enforcement and you always gotta look up to the lieutenant... anyway.. he comes in and reports that Tuesday was his birthday, but that he would still be coming to out program.  

So... I bought a small cake, the $3.50 Pepperidge Farm Cake from the freezer section... figuring it was big enough to share with a few kids who may want some... 
When I brought the cake into the afternoon group, I kept it in the box and shared the story of how Mom and I had the same birthday and how much I loved that.  I said that as a kid my mom made fancy cakes, barbie doll cakes, etc... but as I got older, Mom decided that she didn't want to bake on her birthday so we began buying pepperidge farm cakes... 
So today he brings me this:  


It was cool... neat that he wrote a thank you note and also cool that he referenced my Mom... 



No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place