4/05/2012

YOGA..

Yeah... that chick is CRAZY into yoga... 
That DEFINITELY was not me, but an amazing pose so had to share!  

 Yoga and I met again tonight... It was not a happy reunion... when we first saw one another.  My previous two yoga experiences were... hmmm...how should I put this...  hellish... I hated them.  

The first one was bearable because Debbie was with me and together we managed to be two of 'those' people who were not all zen about yoga, we were giggling in the back because I felt like an elephant trying to balance on a beach ball...  It was not pretty... the second experience was in a tiny room with a really 'crunchy' instructor... (by crunchy I mean someone who probably catches spiders that get into her house and releases them into a meadow down the street.)  And with her crunchiness came her touchy feely-ness... and as my ass was in the air for downward dog and my brain was concentrating on not falling WITHOUT WARNING, her hand was on me... trying to correct my posture... I did not react well to that and she left me alone afterwards.. but I remember thinking, Hello lady... if I could get my ass up higher while putting 2/3 of my weight on my wrists, don't you think I would be doing it?  I don't think your little touch  is going to suddenly make this body into Gumby!  And at that moment I kind of swore it off... for good.  

Yoga looks peaceful... but remember folks looks can be deceiving.  It's a lot of work!  So how did I end up there tonight? A friend of mine, from high school, and I had decided to get together for dinner... and because of my commitment to the 100 days, we agreed to do something active before dinner.  One of her coworkers suggested this drop in yoga place... where you pay what you want to pay... so I agreed, reluctantly... and as today has been getting closer I have dreaded it more and more.  

The instructor was in her early 20s probably... and the place was crowded.  A tiny room with lots of people is not usually my idea of a good time... but I was trying to embrace it... the class started with a bit of a meditation, asking us to bring positive energy to the room... 

I liked the way she taught... she did it methodically, showing us a pose, then explaining how to take it from basic to more advanced... (From pretzel stick to pretzel!) I stuck mostly with the basic poses, but I admit I surprised myself with some.  
It is hard to get into some  of the poses, harder to stay in those poses... and your body heats up fast... that room was HOT!  

My left knee, pvns knee, does not bend as far as my other knee.  It is not a dramatic difference, but I noticed it tonight... and had to alter a couple of things because of it.  (She had asked at the beginning of class if there were any limitations she should know about... and I so badly wanted to shout, 'Um, yeah... from about here,' pointing at head, 'to...here,' pointing at feet...I felt like I would not be able to keep up.. that I Would once again be a yoga school dropout!  Something that helped a lot was using the yoga blocks.  Placing them under my hands when doing downward dog made it easier to balance and felt less pressure on my wrists... 

But I made it, through an entire class and did most of the moves... and... as crazy as it sounds...
 I think I want to go back.  

(Day 97!) 

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place