3/18/2012

What did I do on March 18th? Went KAYAKING!!!

Yes I did!  

The weather forecast had predicted really warm temperatures today, 70s in fact... so I decided it was a good time to get my first paddle of 2012 on the board!  A few people cautioned me that the water would be frigid, which may have been their way to say, are you sure it's a good idea?  It wasn't a good idea.  It was a GREAT idea!  

I was relieved, I admit, that one of my coworkers also thought it was a good idea and joined me.  I think I would have been a bit nervous going solo with the water temps so low... So this morning, before going to the gym, I loaded the kayak.  (It was so happy to be out of the garage!)  At the gym I did my 35 minutes on the elliptical and did weight training for my legs... then came home, packed up the rest of my gear and met up with Terri.  

I get into the kayak the same way Mom did... we wade out until the water is about at knee level then sit into the kayak like sitting on a chair, then swing my legs into the kayak.  So today, I waded into the water and yes, it was a bit chilly, but not as bad as I expected!  I had brought a towel with me and warm socks so after getting in my kayak, I dried off and was fine.  The temperature was incredible!  I had on a long sleeved shirt but would have been fine with short sleeves!  
We did see s few small ice patches... 

This was Terri's first time in this spot and she really liked it.  I was so happy to see this tree still standing!  I took so many pictures of her last year and feared that the winter would knock her down... but... she survived and looks like she will even have some foliage!  

I am surprised it was so nice on the water.  I even saw a couple of bugs!  (Which means moths are soon to follow, ugh!)  

This is a shot for Jill... she likes, for whatever reason, pictures from my kayak that include my kayak and feet! These socks helped my feet warm up, and eventually I took them off... 

Returning to the tunnel... 

Looking over the beaver dam at the end of the tunnel... yes, that's a bit of ice.  



The landscape seemed kind of empty, being out there so early.  The plants will start growing soon and will add some color.  This is Terri paddling along... 

We didn't see any turtles, of course, too early, but we did see some ducks and Canada geese.  As we got closer they took off and ran on top of the water.  I tried to get a good shot, but wasn't quick enough... 

So Terri tried to help me out by getting close to them... 

But still didn't get a great taking off shot!   
The geese circled back over us.. 

Pretty soon it will be impossible to see that barn from the water because the plants will be so tall! 

The sky was sooo blue, and the contrast between the sky and the birch trees was beautiful! 

Terri didn't want to go too far up... so I didn't get to check to see if some of the other things I remember from last year were still there...like the wasps nest... that will have to wait until next time!  

We only saw ice in this one little inlet.  So of course I had to explore! 

I thought I could paddle through the ice, thinking it was just slush, but ended up having the tip of my kayak go up onto the ice a bit... so backed up!  


It was cool to be able to see under the ice by looking at its reflection in the water.  

How often will I get the chance to have bare feet, in my kayak, with ice?  Had to take a picture!  




What a GREAT day!  For me, Spring has officially begun!  

1 comment:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

Thanks for the sock pic...still waiting for the toe socks though. :) Looks like a GREAT day!

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place