3/24/2012

It is March... Right?

So Thursday... March 22nd... temperatures reached the mid 80s!  In Maine!  In March?  
What's a girl to do when that happens?  

KAYAK! 

As soon as school ended I rushed out the door to get on the water... The warm few days has really got things sprouting and budding... 

I took this paddle trip solo, my friend from the other day was supposed to come with me, but had something come up.  She was apologetic and hoped it wouldn't stop me from going.  Of course it didn't!  

This is a kingfisher, it's a bit blurry, but they are a cool bird.  He was flitting about in a little cove area.  After watching him I looked across the water and saw bubbles... coming towards me... and I was puzzled... then I saw a small muskrat... it swam right under my kayak... and then back out... too funny! 


As I paddled I came upon these two ducks and wish the quality of this picture was better... they kind of look like they are kissing!  As I was reviewing the picture on my camera something caught my eye... and I didn't get my camera turned soon enough to get a picture... A turtle!  Sitting on a clump of grass!  WOW... I was so excited and mad because I didn't think people would believe me without photo proof... as I got back on the main part of the river I saw two others on a log that quickly disappeared into the water!  ahhh... I needed a turtle picture... 


As I paddles along I got really close to the shore and found some small ferns starting... 

And this is some moss that was growing on some rocks... the texture was pretty cool, didn't get a great shot of it though... lighting was off I think... 


As I approached the tunnel I noticed some movement on the dam... I thought it was a beaver...

But... it's tail does not look like a beaver... more like a muskrat... but it was HUGE if it was a muskrat... small if it was a beaver... 

As I watched the beaverskrat go away I saw something bobbing in the water... then it went under... then it returned and it was... 


a TURTLE!!! Peeking out at me... I was excited to get at least one picture of a turtle!!!


I decided to take a self portrait while on the water... 

And on my paddle back down river, I stopped by the tree... to say hello... 

 And then................. on the same log from which they had jumped on my paddle up river, there they were...TWO turtles... 

Why is that so exciting? Because it is really spring!  Turtles hibernate and they are out!   Also, while paddling, the peepers were serenading me... it was so nice, such a nice paddle!  

After my paddle I went to dinner with Debbie.  It was sooooooooooooooooo good to see her.  It had been way too long... way way too long... she is doing well... things are in a holding pattern with her breast cancer and her doctors are pleased.  I was happy to know that.  

Ironically... I learned this week that Betty has breast cancer... Yup, Dad's Betty... It is scary to hear the word cancer again... so close to home... fortunately, the prognosis is good... doctors think it is curable... not just treatable, curable... She will have a lumpectomy next week... it is an outpatient procedure...and Betty will be home that night... I want to be there... it's the same hospital where Mom had her surgeries... and the idea of Dad in a waiting room, alone... is something I cannot stomach.  Betty is amazing... and is handling this well... I know she is scared, for a lot of reasons... but... I do believe that our families, have had enough bad crap happen, that the universe.... well... that the universe can't possibly take us back to such dark times... I gotta have faith in that... 

1 comment:

Brian, Jill, Ava & Andrew said...

Great pics! Can't believe you're yaking this early. Give Betty my best...keep the faith. :)

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place