1/12/2012

Painful... seriously painful...

Today we had no school.  So I decided to make a new recipe... Sweet Potato Salad... it includes sweet potatoes, of course, pineapple, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, shallots, and jalepeno peppers.  The dressing has some apple cider vinegar, brown mustard, orange zest, oil, and brown sugar... oh, there is also cilantro and parsley... Sounds good... it is currently chilling in my fridge and I will try it later... 

In the midst of making it I had a bit of a mishap.  I chopped up all the ingredients, including the jalepeno peppers and washed my hands a couple of times as I have heard that getting any amount of that pepper juice in your eyes is painful.  Well...while waiting for the sweet potatoes to roast, as I was cleaning up, my eye itches... and I rubbed it.  OH MY GOD!!!  At first it wasn't too bad... but I knew apparently there was still some of the pepper oil on my skin... but it got worse.. WAY worse... I tried to flush it out with saline solution I use for my contacts, but every time I opened my eye to put a drop in the burning got worse.  I then grabbed some small paper cups I keep in my bathroom for rinsing my mouth, etc... and filled them with water, then poured them over my face trying to flush it out... it worked for a few minutes until I stopped.. then it was like my cheek and under my eye were on fire.  So I got some paper towels put them under cold water and held them over my eye... and again, little relief.  My eye was watering, timers were going off for the sweet potatoes, and I couldn't see... I somehow was able to get the oven off and grab some new paper towels and poured some milk on them and held that to my eye/cheek area and THAT seemed to help... A LOT...  


Lesson learned kids... Do not touch your face after touching a jalepeno... even after washing your hands... or wear gloves when chopping up those little peppers... Holy Moly! 

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place