1/31/2012

Decisions & Dreams

I'm a Maine girl... through and through... love it... (well not so much during a typical Maine winter...) the year I spent living in CT was a great experience.  I loved being so close to NYC and all it had to offer, even though I didn't even begin to see all there is to see there.  But I missed Maine... missed my family, missed my friends... missed the clean beaches.... the recreation...

So... as I look for jobs for next year... I really hope to stay in the Portland, Maine area... I love it here.  But I have been peeking at jobs in New Hampshire and Massachusetts ...and for kicks and giggles the other night looked in Connecticut... And there was a job listed there that intrigued me...intrigues me... the position title said Assistant Principal-Middle School-Special Education.  When I opened the job description it described a typical assistant principal position with a focus on the special education programs in the school, including running the meetings and knowing and understanding the laws... interesting... I kept reading and then there was a salary range listed... I about fell off my couch... more than 2.5 times what I make!  Not kidding.  WOW.

So then I googled the location... not too far from where I had lived when I was in CT before... so there is some familiarity with the area and it is a quick train ride away from NYC...

What I loved about being down there was NYC... the Broadway shows... the diversity... that socially, I had soooo many more opportunities... Men in those parts find a woman of my stature quite attractive... I knew when I chose to move back to Maine that my dating life would return to the way it was before moving down there... but it was a choice I made... I missed my family up here... I was closer to my sister...that was the year that my oldest nephew was born and it was fun to be within a few hours of them... so being closer to them again would also be nice... but I was so far away from Mom and Dad... and the idea now of moving further away from Dad really tears at my heart... his response... "do what is right for you, what's best for you... I think we could find you down there..."  I knew that would be his answer... but there would be a part of me that would feel like I was abandoning him... and I am not sure if I can do that.  The idea brings tears to my eyes... but at the same time a job like that, even if I only was there for a couple of years... would give me financial stability in a way I probably never have dreamed of... I would be able to afford to fly back for visits... and would still have summers off... I would be able to afford to buy a home... consider adopting a child....hmmmmm possibilities.... of course I would miss my friends... a lot... but most have families... and how often do I see my friends now, when I live so close to them? Some more than others... which doesn't diminish our friendships... but seeing people every couple of months... is that something that would keep me here?

And kayaking... my peace, my serenity... where in CT could I use my kayak?  Must investigate...

Quality of life... is something I hold so dear... it would be a tough decision... not sure it is a decision I will have to make... but a decision none the less....

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place