1/22/2012

Day 23 and other random things...

Day 23 of intentionally being active for at least 30 minutes.  This makes me happy.  Today was probably the most challenging of those 23 days... as far as finding the motivation.  I have heard that it takes 28 days to make something a habit... I hope so...

Yesterday I went to the gym in the morning with Suellen.  I pushed myself on the elliptical to see how fast I could complete a mile and took over a minute off last week's time.  I was pleased.  I am still not where I want to be, but I will get there.  Then Meg was in town  for a hockey game and a couple of games of canasta.  She proposed the card game and I gratefully accepted. I love canasta.  I like the game and I love that it is something Mom and I did together. Meg likes canasta too and because she is so competitive she tries to figure out the best strategies to use.  It can be a hard game to strategize because each hand plays differently.  So... game one I beat her pretty handily.  Game two was closer.  She was ahead at one point.  (Insert evil laugh here...)  then I swooped in and beat her by 5000 points, which is a lot in canasta.  As we were playing Dad had texted me and so we had to send him the play by play of the games, including a photo of Meg celebrating her one victorious hand... and one of me after dealing her the final blow.  We laughed a lot during the games, it was great.  Then we headed out for dinner (I did not eat well, my first really unhealthy meal since starting the 100 day challenge.)  We went to a hockey game and enjoyed cheering on our team to victory.  By the time I got home it was like 10:00.

I had to work today on the tolls.  And last night had decided not to pack today's lunch so I needed to do it this morning.  I had thought about trying to get up early this morning to do the treadmill before work, but for some reason just can't get myself up that early these days... Suellen had invited me over after work to watch the Patriots game and for a healthy dinner.  I told her it depended on whether or not I could somehow git in a half hour of activity while working.  I tried that... and it did not go well.  I just didn't feel like I would get as good of a workout... so I texted her to tell her I would be heading home to watch the game and to walk on the treadmill.

I came home, had dinner, and watched the second half of the game while chatting with my sister.  Her television feed was a few seconds ahead of mine, so it was kind of funny chatting with her as she gasped or cheered when I had no idea why.  After the game I wanted to just be lazy.. but... it would be the first day I would have not done it... and I don't want to fail at this.  I need to do this.   No excuses.

So I caught a little flack for giving Jill so much blog time.  When I told her that, her response was, "Well, I have been around the longest!"  So not surprised by that!

I texted and emailed  a bit with Rico this week... after the Pats had destroyed beat the Broncos Rico was not happy.  He loves the Broncos.  I admit he has more love for his team than I do for mine.  I was glad we emailed a bit, realized I have missed that guy.  And in a classy move.. he texted 'Congratulations' tonight after the Pats victory.  (I know he will be cheering against the PATS in the Superbowl... I am okay with that!)

Gotta give a shout out to my sister too.... She is an amazing mom, in the midst of some tough stuff... and I am so proud of her... for who she is, for remembering who she is... Love ya Sis!

Also want to say that my friend, Michael, in the 'other' Portland has impressed me.  This weekend he, all on his own, demolished his bathroom and is rebuilding it... I admire those skills!  I would like to think I could do that stuff, but I know I couldn't.  Maybe I could do the tiles or spread a little plaster... but.. I could not do plumbing and wiring, no way!  Nice job my friend!

I also want to take a minute here to recognize someone I never knew, someone I learned about in bits and pieces through a friend who had so much respect for him... Joe Paterno.  Rest in Peace Mr. Paterno.  I hope people remember him for the right reasons.

My head has been busy lately... though I can't really say exactly why.  I have had a lot of thoughts and for the first time on this blog I have two other posts started that I have not finished... so don't be surprised if things come out this week that are a bit more.... deep, than this post and the Jill tribute.

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place