12/28/2011

Ironically, as I was blogging here last night I had received an email from a friend of mine... asking how my Christmas was... her email said, I bet it is all surreal still, for you...

Surreal.. is a good word for it.  I wrote back to her and said that it was a good visit, but that it was hard too explaining that it felt like another slap of reality, if that made sense... her response, somehow was so validating... she wrote: Absolutely makes sense. I can just imagine looking around and thinking - whose life is this and who are these people... this isn't what 'my' Christmas looks like.... 'My Christmas'... that's a good way to put it... obviously I knew the people I was with, but yes, looking at things and trying to make it make sense... and having it all be new... was a lot.  I feel foolish, to be honest, that I had not prepared myself for it all...

I also sent an email to Todd last night... apologizing for not stopping to see him and explaining a bit of where my head was at... his response... he knew my excuses of being worried about the roads and the rain were not truly the reasons for me not coming to see him..... (Sometimes I am way more transparent than I think I am...)  He didn't say much... offered a quote he likes and then said... Get some vitamin D...

Vitamin D... that's the second time someone had mentioned Vitamin D in recent days.  Last Friday when visiting my aunts, Dad's sisters, they had talked about taking it, as instructed by their doctors.  Both had been told they had a vitamin D deficit and were on a pretty high dosage... one had taken prescription strength for a while to get her levels up, and now takes over the counter stuff...

I did a little research today on vitamin D... it enables our bones to absorb calcium... that seems important... it is the vitamin we get from being out in the sun... also seems important... I do not do well in darker months... although I am happy that the days are now getting longer and there are 82 days and a few hours until spring... Vitamin D also helps prevent heart disease and has shown to help reduce risk of certain kinds of cancer in both men and women...

I hate taking medicine... of any kind.  I often suffer with a headache to let it go away instead of taking something... so... not wanting to just start taking something I called my doctor... to see if she would recommend it... and... she does... told me to start taking 1000 I.U.s (International Units) a day... So... I went to Target, bought some, and took my first one today... I also did a little facebook research... posted that I was thinking about taking it and asked if other people had taken it... several people responded, writing about its benefits and said they feel it has made a difference in their mood and energy...

So... we'll see... if I become a vitamin D believer or not...

On a separate note... Michael... you are a very perceptive man...for whom I am grateful... which once again makes me think my whole thinking people don't know what is going on in my head... is wrong... perhaps some of my walls are not as thick as I think... or maybe I am shaving them down a bit... either way... Thank you.

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place