9/11/2011

Freedom

Today is a day of remembrance, but it is also a day for us to remember to appreciate our country and our freedom.  As it worked out I got the chance to kayak today, with some friends... very special friends.  Left to Right in this picture, that, could also be used as one of those commercials that used to show the cell phone signal... Suellen, Debbie, Mark, Me, and the little guy in the front is Zach.  We did not plan to line up by height... it just worked out that way.  This picture was taken using the timer on my camera... and I think it came out pretty nicely!  
I had posted something on facebook at the end of last week about possibly going kayaking this weekend and told interested parties to get in touch with me... and Debbie posted that her 'clan' may be interested... this caused me to raise an eyebrow... Debbie is my friend... an amazing woman who has been diagnosed with breast cancer.  A couple of times this summer she had asked me about kayaking opportunities, not for herself because her shoulder had been so painful, but for her husband, Mark.  We did not connect... so when she said that her clan wanted to go... I thought maybe she was referencing her husband and their son... so I texted her and said... Clan?  just who might this clan include? And she wrote back saying ALL of us!  I was soo excited.  So so excited.  I was not sure how far she would be able to paddle... because her shoulder has been bothering her all summer and I didn't know how much strength she would have.. She did great!  She kicked Ass!  (Which is her plan to deal with cancer by the way!)  Her son, Zach, also did awesome. He got tired, but kept going, and completed his first ever paddle without being towed! 

(And please excuse my appearance... on kayaking excursions I wear a bandanna type thing so that the little wispy pieces of hair don't get in my face as I am trying to take pictures... and I am not sure why I had not yet unrolled my pantlegs.. usually I wear shorts, but it was chilly this morning and I wore short pants... which I had rolled up when I got out of my kayak to try to avoid getting them wet.) 



I have not written much here about Debbie's battle with cancer... it is not my story to write.  I worry about her every day... I am in awe of her every day... because she is fighting hard... making things as easy on her family as she can, especially Zach...

The idea of her losing this battle terrifies me.  We had dinner last week, just the two of us, and it was nice.  I hope I am a person she can talk to about anything and everything... and so far, I think she has... She shared stories with me, of what people say to her which make me shake my head... like, "You don't look sick," and she has shared with me the medical end of things... But... right now... she is very much living with breast cancer... LIVING with this disease... and I love her for that.  Today is a day I will cherish... forever... on 9-11 we talk of courage and endurance... and Debbie.... well.. Debbie has both... I love you, Deb! 

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place